Author Topic: Third gear noice  (Read 36176 times)

Chronic

Third gear noice
« on: March 02, 2015, 03:24:27 am »
Yesterday i took the bike for a spin for the first time, and realized that when in third gear, a grinding sound is Heard. All gears work fine, but in third something is grinding metal...

Anyone who did have this problem Before?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Third gear noice
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:05:42 am »
I have not heard of any problems with 3rd. gear. What type of oil are you using? Oftentimes if you are using a regular automotive oil, you will notice an improvement in clutch & transmission operation by switching to a motorcycle specific oil such as Hondalube, Yamalube, Golden Spectro, Redline, etc. I like to run a 10W-40 motorcycle oil.

Good luck
J.

Chronic

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 01:24:41 pm »
I always use oil specific for motorcykels. I dont think this problem will be solved with an oilchange :(

A good thing the case is splitted horosontally, so its a bit moore easy to replace 3rd gear i hope..

wrk2ride_ride2wrk

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:06:32 am »
no slipping through the gears, no noise from the right side? seems like might be a broken gear... I'd get into it asap before it'll cause more damage.

You can use a long screwdriver  ( longer the better ) to check to the noise, put the bike up on the mainstand, run it through the gears.
pointy end against the noisy location handle to your ear, other ear plugged....  :P or you can use a stethoscope with some narrow copperpipe in the end

Chronic

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:13:00 am »
The gears working fine, as the clutch. Its a grinding noice.

I dont know what good comes out from trying detecting the source of the noice, could it even be something else than third gear sprocket on main/countershaft?

wrk2ride_ride2wrk

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 06:54:04 pm »
Just to make thats were the noise is coming from, before you split the motor. Riding and listening can be vague

If it was say the selector fork or a end bearing, you'd most likely have problems with other gears too.

triguyracer

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 11:31:15 pm »
If your noise is only in 3rd gear that is most likely your problem, layshaft gear or mainshaft gear, shift fork or forks,maybe the shaft itself where the gear rides when engaged in 3rd.Mybe something else but being that it only happens in 3rd that eliminates almost everything else it could be

Chronic

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 07:35:16 am »
Thanks for input. Yes the noice is very distinct conected with 3rd and is not to be heard on other gears.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 09:39:45 am »
This probably won't help you much, but usually the FT Ascots have problems with the starter engagement or timing chain adjustment.

I cannot recall hearing of any transmission issues. I once heard that the FT gear set is stronger than the XR/XL gear sets. I have no idea if this is true or not. I would probe the engine with a listening device to determine the best that you can where the noise is coming from. I think I would also drain the oil & remove the oil filter. Check the oil for chips, particles, etc, & take the filter apart while looking debris. Other than that, it looks like you will have to split the cases & examine the trans.

Good luck & please let us know what you discover.
J.

Chronic

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 04:35:57 am »
I do have one spare Engine, though is a XT/XL 500 without cylinderhead and enginecovers. I do hope the tranny from that one fits in my FT. In that case it would be "non-cost" projekt, besides some gaskets and whatnot.

WTF304

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 10:42:30 am »
Would the gears even be close, let alone the same ratio ?. After all dirt and street and different terrain and I'm sure honda had that in mind.

wrk2ride_ride2wrk

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 09:41:58 pm »
both have 18' rear wheels,  I recently entered the original sprockets sizes into a calculator, and the XL500s came out with 9mph less in top end speed, and from memory a ratio of 3.00. FT might have been 2.8?

Sprocket changes would be easy enough, and besides the oil pan, side cases, arent the engine cases the same?

Chronic

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 07:24:47 am »
both have 18' rear wheels,  I recently entered the original sprockets sizes into a calculator, and the XL500s came out with 9mph less in top end speed, and from memory a ratio of 3.00. FT might have been 2.8?

Sprocket changes would be easy enough, and besides the oil pan, side cases, arent the engine cases the same?

Well at least they look kinda the same to me.

Chronic

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 03:41:55 am »
Yesterday i changed the oil, and guess what!! The third gear noice became worse, so i took the Engine out, took me half of an hour :P

Now i will get it open, and see what causes the noice

Chronic

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 07:26:49 am »
FT Gear box

Chronic

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 07:28:21 am »
...And XL gearbox, i have a set like this, the question is, if this gonna fit?

Chronic

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 03:05:00 pm »
I now have both engines cracked open, the XR gearbox lookes the same as FT's

I also noticed that a kickstarter conversion is not that hard, if u want. Of course u gona need an axel and a engine cover, But it all fits in the engine

WTF304

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 07:56:57 pm »
Actually you don't need the engine cover .... you need the kick shaft seal and the kick shaft and associated gears ... washers .... spacers etc. The clutch cover is exactly the same there is an aluminum plug and rubber seal. It pop's right out ..... look for my post XL/XR kickstarter i have a picture there

Chronic

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 02:06:24 am »
Yeah you are right, its just a plug in the cover.

Chronic

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 04:16:00 pm »
So now the gears are in place...

Just to be sure, is there anyone who knows how to realign the markings to set the Counter balancer?

Also, on the mainshaft sprocket that drives the CB there's a quite big offset weight, should that also be in any paticular direction?

Is there a workshop manual to be downloaded from somewhere?

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 07:54:57 pm »
So the gears from both the FT and XL are identical? Did you find the cause of the noise?
I scanned the pages from the manual:

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 07:56:52 pm »
Last page:

WTF304

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 08:40:39 pm »
They may be identical. ..... but the ratios maybe be slightly different. Instead of doing say for example. .... 5th gear goes to 85 mph now it might go 78 mph. Look up the gear ratios for both bikes cause the XL/XR were dual purpose bikes where the FT was ment 100% for the road

Chronic

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 02:21:22 am »
Last page:

Thats fantastic, thankĀ“s a LOT!!

Chronic

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 02:22:51 am »
....And yeah, i did find what did cause the noice :o :o