Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

Possible overheating issues

<< < (2/3) > >>

murdo:
Check your thermostat is opening. You will have to remove it and put in a pot of cold water over the stove/BBQ and heat it up to see if it opens with the increased temp. A thermometer in the water will tell you what temp it opens at. Unless it looks new I would be replacing it to be sure anyway.
Second thing to check is coolant flow. Take the radiator cap off with the engine cold and start the engine. As the coolant heats up the thermostat should open and you will see the coolant moving past the cap opening. If no movement then you will have to investigate further for blockages or pump problems.
Let us know what you find.

osharke:
So it’s a blown head gadget. I’m so sad as this repair is major and not in my comfort zone. Hmm 🤔 looks like I’m going to either donate, sell as is and or part her out. The later would bring great 👍 joy to the Ascot community as the items on my bike are in prestine condition (well except the engine ☹️)

Look for that info soon. Thanks 🙏 forum.

smcohio:
Why not pay someone a couple hundred and have a nice bike again.

osharke:
Thanks smcohio if were just a $200 that would not be an issue. However the typical cost of replacing a head gasket for these bikes is around $1200+ plus other "possible" ancillary work that may be needed which could easily increase the cost.

The engine needs to be removed in order to perform the work --- labor is the big deal. Also once the engine has been removed, at that time you also need to perform routine maintenance (repair/replace as needed) on other ancillary items (water pump, oil pump, i.e) to ensure everything is in proper working order before the bike is put back together  -- more cash probably will be needed. 

Bottom-line I'm anticipating $1500 to do the work, whereas I feel the bike is in excellent shape and could easily command 3K when running well, I'm just not sure it's worth it....after all the bike is 34 years old and really belongs in a museum then on the road. I have an offer to do just that, hence why putting more money into her is in question. Just one's mans opinion.

For the record, even though I really do believe it is a head gasket issue (white smoke spewing out of the exhaust is the dead give away), I'm calling in an experience mechanic to get a second opinion to see if the bike is salvageable. It is my understanding (hopefully crossing fingers) that sometimes the white smoke could be from the bike running to rich -- but it is a long shot. Regardless, I'm not given up on her yet and hopefully I'm just a bad mechanic and I have miss-diagnose the issue.

BTW, if indeed the engine is dead, I will donate her to the museum. However because she has some rare parts (Hondaline luggage rack, riffle faring i.e) I will probably offer them to this forum. I have a attached a YouTube link so you can see them for yourself.

1984 Honda VT500 Ascot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOoyncjHuRU

Thanks Forum......

J6G1Z:
Perform a compression test.

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version