Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

Possible overheating issues

<< < (3/3)

smcohio:
What a bummer to see a bike in that good of shape go out.

Bucko:
Sent you a PM.

osharke:
Forum -- Good news my head gasket is not blown after-all. Best news ever! The core issue was fouled up carburetors (never been cleaned) precipitated by a buildup of sentiments and dirt in the tank. My mechanic will be performing a carb rebuild and tank cleanse which will resolve this issue.

The white smoke I saw alarmed me as it clearly pointed to a blown head gasket. However what puzzled me was that after she warmed up, the smoke was gone and she ran like a dream.  Turns out the white smoke actually was more brown --- my mechanic said that this was caused by dirty carbs and and over rich air-to-fuel mixture; essentially burning fuel and not oil.  Whew!

The take away, don't go crazy on the Internet and go down the wrong path --- just remain calm use your resources, seek out experience and if your not comfortable with the repairs yourself ....just hire a damn mechanic.

As for overheating issues, turns out there where a myriad of issues. One(1) bad radiator cap, two(2) bad overflow cap (crack) and dry-rotted connector tubes and three(3) yes, this forum got it, bad thermostat. All is well, now I just have to get a new temperature gauge. I'll send a question on that topic on my other thread.

My personal thanks to all whom have responded and have assisted. Special thanks to J6G1Z, Bucko and Murdo for responding quickly and easing my mind.  I'm so relieved that my red beauty will be back in action soon and very anxious to once again get the thrill that only the VT500 Ascot can deliver.

Thank you Forum

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version