First Generation Ascots > Tech Section

New Owner

<< < (2/3) > >>

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: mattard on August 19, 2014, 02:17:17 pm ---Well, Ive taken the airbox out, Im  planning on tearing into the carb tonight.  Has anybody done an airbox removal?  What did you do with the large hoses that hook to the airbox?  How did it affect jetting?  Im running a stock exhaust, but we have a local guy here that does nice stainless ones, Ill probably get something done eventually.  I forgot to mention above, but I have put renthal bars on already, and really like them.  I cant believe how much the ones that came off weighed.
--- End quote ---

The original bars have a steel slug at the ends of the bars to dampen vibration. You might find that your mirrors are fuzzier now.

I have removed the air box from an FT & run an oiled foam UNI filter. It has been a while so I can no longer recall what all hooks up to the air-box. I took the crankcase breather & routed a longer hose from the crankcase up to the top frame rail where I mounted a small vent filter into one of the brackets that used to support the air box. You want to make sure you run the crankcase vent to a filter so it doesn't suck in any dirt.

You should re-jet the bike as described in the "Ascot Essentials" when it has the air box attached. You definitely need to re-jet when you remove the air box. So far I'm running the same jets that are recommended in the upgrade instruction. I may need to increase my main jet one more size still.

Here is a pic on how I ran the crankcase breather. The little K&N type of vent filter has a bolt on top, in the middle, that makes mounting real easy.

J.

mattard:
Ill probably end up doing something similar.  That's a little ways off for now.  Is that an Li battery?  Im thinking about doing one of those also, what size is it?  What you said about the bars makes sense, I really couldn't believe how heavy they were.  Im not worried about the mirrors, I put a bar-end one on the left side, that way its in the same place as on my motard.  Also, one of the smaller hoses that came off my carb ran back behind the airbox, and had a nail stuck in the end of it, What do you make of that.

J6G1Z:
Do you have a small vacuum line running from the fuel petcock back to the carb?

Originally the petcock is vacuum operated. The engine has to create vacuum to draw in a diaphragm & let the fuel pass by. Many folks have disabled this feature by swapping the spring to the other side of the diaphragm & then plugging that vacuum line.

The battery is a 12 cell "AntiGravity" battery. They are awesome batteries. Real small, weigh less than 3 lbs. & produces 360cca.

J.

mattard:
There was a line from the petcock to the carb, this one was different.  did i say it went to the carb, it was the airbox, the line came off and was just sitting there after i took out the box.  I had noticed the nail plugging the end of it before, but didn't know where it went until last night.

Slyphon:
I believe there is an overflow hose that comes from the carb and runs down towards the swingarm. They are often just plugged or capped. Can you tell where the hose was coming from on the carb?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version