First Generation Ascots > Tech Section

New Owner

(1/3) > >>

mattard:
Hello all, I just acquired, well last September, an '82 ascot.  It looks like its been rattle-canned black by a PO, but all the body panels are there.  Someone knocked it over the first week I had it and dented the tank, but that is why I bought it(my other bike is a hypermotard, and if that had gotten knocked over, I probably would have killed the nearest person, just because).  It seems to run good, but if I get on it for a while, when I go back to idle, it wants to die.  Someone mentioned a sticky float, but I haven't gotten around to tearing apart the carb yet.  I've read the sticky on what to do to make the bike right, and besides checking the carb, upgrading the rear shocks are first on the list.  Overall, I think I want to customize it.  I find the stock tank to be ugly, as well as the instruments.  I could live with the headlight, but i'd like to clean up the front end some.  Anyway, I'm new here, and will probably be asking some questions in the future as I start to do things to the bike.  And my picture file is too big, so no pictures yet.

J6G1Z:
Welcome to the forum & congratulations on finding an Ascot.

I'm glad that you found the Sticky. Probably the first thing you should do besides changing all the fluids, plug, etc, is to buy the two jets that richen up the mixture & a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket. While you are changing the jets you can check the float, blast it with carb cleaner if needed & gently excercise the float.

As far as shocks... I like the shocks offered by HAGON. http://hagonshocksusa.com
Their web-site is a bit confusing sometimes, but they build a nice shock that is built to your bike, body weight, riding style & more.

Make sure you pick up a Honda Service Manual for the bike if you don't already have one.

Good luck & fire away with any questions you might have.
J.

Slyphon:
Which Hagon shocks do you like J6?

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: Slyphon on August 05, 2014, 01:35:32 pm ---Which Hagon shocks do you like J6?
--- End quote ---

Here is the description of the shocks that I bought:

Hagon 2810 adjustable shocks - Application Type TTSA (Standard Spring) / TTSS (Slimline Spring)
These feature black body, choice of chrome or black, standard or slimline springs. Quadrate progressive action springs (except 30kg/cm and above) adjustable by conventional stepped cam ring. 10 position damping control with automatic compression & rebound balance. Hard chrome piston rod. Supplied in complete pairs with spring adjuster spanner.

Generally compatible with Type A applications (check with sales team to confirm before purchase)

$299.00

It's a nice pair of shocks. I was able to go with the "SlimlineSpring" which gave me the clearance that I needed for my rear caliper bracket on my hybrid bike. You need to call them & they go over the options with you. Then they build the shock for you vs. grabbing a common shock & spring off the shelf.

J.

mattard:
Well, Ive taken the airbox out, Im  planning on tearing into the carb tonight.  Has anybody done an airbox removal?  What did you do with the large hoses that hook to the airbox?  How did it affect jetting?  Im running a stock exhaust, but we have a local guy here that does nice stainless ones, Ill probably get something done eventually.  I forgot to mention above, but I have put renthal bars on already, and really like them.  I cant believe how much the ones that came off weighed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version