Second Generation Ascots > The V-Twin Years: Stock To Lightly Modified

NOS MAC Dual Exhaust Available For The VT500FT Ascot

(1/5) > >>

J6G1Z:
http://jerryscyclesvintageparts.com/Honda-VT500-Ascot-Staggered-Duals--P266728.aspx

Description 
New Mac exhaust for Honda Ascot VT500 v-twin  Staggered Duals, 83-84. Chrome magaphones. This exhaust is discontinued NOS. No guarantees or returns. Also no instructions, you will have to figure out mounting yourself. 

Center Stand retention & access to all service points. High luster chrome on header & mufflers. Removable all steel baffles. No jetting required with baffles in place. Just slightly louder than stock but lighter with more performance

I had a set of MAC pipes on my Ascot back in the day. There is a huge weight savings as compared to the OEM exhaust. I do recall the need for removing the centerstand though.

If you are considering purchasing a set of these pipes from this seller, you should not hesitate. It sounds like there are only about 4 or 5 sets left.

J.

J6G1Z:
Well... I went ahead & ordered a set of these pipes & they arrived yesterday. The box is definitely a clue that these are NOS (New Old Stock) Parts. Dusty old cardboard with a few stains & creases here & there. Fortunately the seller packs the boxes nicely with plenty of bagged popcorn. I took a few pics & will show them here before I go on with the story...

J6G1Z:
Well... Everything looked great until I took the long pipe for the front cylinder out of the box. I unwrapped it & was checking it out when I found a ding not quite as large as a dime right in the middle of the muffler section. There is no way to mount the pipe & not see this wart. :(

Now I'm bummed out. I called the seller & explained what I found & was surprised to learn that he was going to send another pipe out right away. He stepped right up & offered to take care of the problem just like the good ole days. Now I'm happy & can't wait to see the new pipe. Both pipes looked excellent & have a better quality finish than my original black coated MAC pipes that I had years ago. If it wasn't for that little ding... Oh well, stuff happens. I'll let you all know when the new pipe arrives & how it all shakes out.

Thanks
J.

huskyfrk:
it's  a  shame he  doesn't  have  any pipes  for a  FT.   even if  he had  just one,   you could send it out  to  a  tubing  bender  and have  some  new  stuff  built  up.  i  never  heard  of  a  MAC,  but  doesn't  mean it wasn't  popular  somewhere.  Was  it a  east  coast  MFG  ???

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: huskyfrk on August 28, 2013, 06:35:10 am --- it's  a  shame he  doesn't  have  any pipes  for a  FT.   even if  he had  just one,   you could send it out  to  a  tubing  bender  and have  some  new  stuff  built  up.  i  never  heard  of  a  MAC,  but  doesn't  mean it wasn't  popular  somewhere.  Was  it a  east  coast  MFG  ???
--- End quote ---

M.A.C. Inc. is/was out of Long Beach, Ca. They have branched off into the automotive world & build headers now I think. They have always been somewhat of a mid range product. The VT500FT only had 2 or 3 options for an aftermarket exhaust during its day. The MAC system, a Kerker slip on and I think there may have been a Cobra slip on muffler also. The Kerker & Cobra slip ons did not eliminate the catalyst chamber or as Honda called it, the "Power Chamber". Only the MAC pipes were a complete exhaust system.

As far as an exhaust for the FT500 try Thumper Stuff. They have a copy of the old White Bro's head pipes. You need to add your own muffler. Thumper Stuff contact info is listed on the FT500 board.

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version