Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

VT500 Airbox Modifications...

<< < (2/3) > >>

scottly:
I had just been thinking that the snorkel might be the major restriction on the FT, even more than the VT since it ingests twice the air in a single gulp. I don't think there would be that much more resistance from a foam filter to the K&N I'm using, but my bike needs a MUCH larger jet than the stock airbox. I'd try just popping the snorkel out of the FT and taking a test ride. If my theory is correct, the bike will have a flat spot between about 3-4K.

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: scottly on June 03, 2014, 10:07:25 pm ---I had just been thinking that the snorkel might be the major restriction on the FT, even more than the VT since it ingests twice the air in a single gulp. I don't think there would be that much more resistance from a foam filter to the K&N I'm using, but my bike needs a MUCH larger jet than the stock airbox. I'd try just popping the snorkel out of the FT and taking a test ride. If my theory is correct, the bike will have a flat spot between about 3-4K.
--- End quote ---

My first FT Ascot must have been previously owned by someone from the Yahoo Ascot Owners Group. When my FT Ascot came to me it already had about 4 of the common FT modifications performed. The petcock had been swapped to manual operation, the carb jetting had been changed, the air filter had been converted to an oiled foam filter & the airbox intake snorkle was missing. These mods are all discussed in the FT Tech Section.

Thanks
J.

J6G1Z:
I have replaced the Ascot filter & cage assembly with an '85-'86 Shadow filter.

The Shadows filter element is much larger than the Ascots & is all one piece.

J.

Luke:
Nice work... I love these kind of mods.

Interested in your post installation thoughts  :)

J6G1Z:
Well, it upset my jetting & I have been installing larger jets. I'm almost there, but still have a bit of a dead spot around 7K RPM. I bought a DynoJet kit & it cannot handle much modification to the air box. Once I have the jetting corrected I can share the jet sizes, but unfortunately DynoJet has their own jet sizing ID that does not correspond with Keihin jet sizes.

Between the dual exhaust & the air box clean up, there is much more air moving through the engine. I just need to add the appropriate amount of fuel.

One of the members from across the pond, says he is using two #125 Keihin jets. Which sounds about right. The OEM jetting was a #112 in the front cylinders carb & a #120 jet in the rear cylinders carb.

I will update when I have more information.

Thanks
J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version