Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

VT500 Airbox Modifications...

<< < (3/3)

Luke:
Thanks ... guess I'll keep my tinkering hands away from that for a bit. :)

Until you figure it all out for us anyway ;)

All the best,

J6G1Z:
I performed the exact same intake modification on my first VT Ascot & it ran fine without changing the jetting. It was lean, but it ran. My first Ascot had a MAC dual exhaust on it though. I also used to run a K&N filter back then. I have now switched to UNI filters. I think the exhaust that I have now, flows more than the MAC exhaust did. Eventually I took that bike to a shop that had a tail pipe sniffer & they changed the main jet to two sizes larger. I don't know exactly what jet size they used. I would try the #125 jet in each carb & see where that puts you.

Good luck & please let us know what works for you.
J.

Dibingo:

--- Quote from: J6G1Z on August 28, 2014, 09:17:44 am ---Well, it upset my jetting & I have been installing larger jets. I'm almost there, but still have a bit of a dead spot around 7K RPM. I bought a DynoJet kit & it cannot handle much modification to the air box. Once I have the jetting corrected I can share the jet sizes, but unfortunately DynoJet has their own jet sizing ID that does not correspond with Keihin jet sizes.
--- End quote ---

Cause Dynojet is a large commercial joke. All and nothing in their kits.
I know it to have turn their parts in all directions !  :o

--- Quote ---Between the dual exhaust & the air box clean up, there is much more air moving through the engine. I just need to add the appropriate amount of fuel.

One of the members from across the pond, says he is using two #125 Keihin jets. Which sounds about right. The OEM jetting was a #112 in the front cylinders carb & a #120 jet in the rear cylinders carb.

I will update when I have more information.
--- End quote ---

You're talking about me !  ;)

In the carbs of the Europe VT500E, not the same OEM jetting. ! OEM is 118 in front and 125 in rear.
In the carbs of the VT500C (shadow) same OEM jetting than Vt-Ascot.

VT500C et VT500E have not the same final transmission. (more longuer on the VT5E > top speed higher)

I ask me the question to know if the VT-Ascot have the final transmission of the VTE or the VTC ?

About your case John, in my VT5E I put two 125 jets, but my airbox is OEM. Just a homemade foam filter.
With your airbox like that, I think jets must be higher than that. Probably like 2x130.

Dibingo:
We absolutely have to tune the exhaust and the air filter together.
The carburation adjusts then.
Logically, more there is of air / gas which returns and goes out, more the carburation must be rich!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version