First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Stock To Lightly Modified

Hello World

<< < (2/4) > >>

Zedicus:
new seat cover and custom innards to some blinkers i bought.   they were regular bulb based but had been damaged in shipping so i converted them to 12v LED based.  but the blinker relay requires more draw then what the LED front and LED rear pull so i will be replacing the relay with a digital one.

J6G1Z:
I replaced my license plate frame with one that has built in LED lighting. My turn signals would not flash until I picked up this flasher: http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-accessories/lf1-s-pin-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/193/841/
It works with incandescent lamps up front & LEDs in the back.

Good luck
J.

Zedicus:
basically identical to the ebay units i have been buying, except yours is half the cost.  thanks for the tip.

i am going to try and get a set of cbr rearsets found in the next couple weeks and i want to try doing the upside down handlebar trick at the same time.   i will be doing the seat cover this weekend hopefully too.   pics to follow.

J6G1Z:
I looked at doing a rear-set conversion. Raask offers ready made rear-sets for the FT Ascot.

I found a set of 2005 CBR600 rear-sets, but unfortunately they were not suitable for swapping over to the FT. It looks to me like most of the GSXR rear-sets would be easier to adapt. The foot-pegs & controls share the same post & the mounting points are closer together. You will still need to fabricate a piece of steel to weld to the frame on each side that is drilled to accept the mounting bolts from the rear-sets. You really need to find some that have real short mounting points as compared to the foot-peg position or they will be back too far.

I decided to try something a bit easier. I disassembled the original foot-pegs & cut them to be about a 1.5" long. Then I had some dirt bike pegs welded to the 1.5" posts. That raised the pegs about an inch or more, but left them in the original & comfortable position. http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=79.msg308#msg308
I'm maintaining the "Street-Tracker" looks & ergonomics on my bike though. I don't really care for the upside down handlebar, Clubman bar, or clip-ons, mounted to either of the Ascots. The bikes are just not layed out in a way that those types of bars work very well. I have seen a few exceptions, but they were heavily modified.

Good luck & please keep posting up the pics.
J.

Zedicus:
cbr600f4 and cbr600f4i  rearsets are bolt on and gain lots of improvement in rider position, IF you are going to a more sporty position.  it is best to get a complete set with rear master and all linkages.

i am planning on inverting the bars asa  temporary solution,  long term goals do include completely different front end and custom rear suspension.  so i think i will fit into the 'heavily modified' group at some point.

actually i am a sport bike guy.  through my years of motorcycle and dirt bike riding the only 2 wheeled vehicles i have ever dropped have been cruiser/street tracker oriented.  personally i feel like there is no control of the vehicle when all of my weight is on my arse and my arms and legs are stretched out in front of me.  not to mention that position kills my back.   i gotta be on the tank and leaned forward to feel like i have any say in what a bike is doing.   and i think sports bikes have by far a more comfortable seating position then cruisers, my back agrees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version