First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Stock To Lightly Modified

Hello World

(1/4) > >>

Zedicus:
my bike.  rough but adding things slowly.

RC51 integrated tail light.
all of the handlebar controls that you can see are from a superhawk.
the front end is a mess, i have a set of gauges on order and it needs a headlight.
also have a new seat cover on order.

also this season i have GOT to do something about the riding position,  some sort of CBR front end and some longer rear shocks.  maybe even clip ons for bars.

listing things that will be done (someday)
USD forks, drop nose of bike.
front wheel to go with forks from whatever bike they are robbed from
rear wheel in as close to matching spoke count as possible.  will have to come from 600f2 (bolt on) or 600f3 with cut cush drive.
f4i rearsets (bolt on, need to be complete with brake master and all shifter linkage)
20mm longer hagon shocks to lift arse end.

at some point it needs engine work.  hopefully a 1 size overbore will be enough and i can get a 10:1 compression wiseco easily.
carb will be stock unit from some random 450 dirtbike.
thumperstuff headpipe

when all that is done i should have something that resembles a sportbike.

J6G1Z:
Hey there Zedicus,

Very cool tail light integration. Just about anything that cleans up the rear end of the bike is worth doing.

The easiest forks to swap are the first generation CBR600 Hurricane, or the early Intercepter forks. The are the same diameter fork tubing & spacing to slide up into the Ascot triple clamps. The Hurricane uses a 17" front wheel, plus the rear 17" wheel will slip right into the Ascot swing arm. The Interceptor front end uses a 16" front wheel. Both of these front ends will lower the bike in the 2-3 inch range.

Neither of the Ascots are well suited for clip-on type of bars, as it will really pitch you forward with the stock seat height. The bikes are supposed to have a more relaxed dirt-bike type of feel to them. I like the Honda CR type of bars. They come in 3 heights, low rise, medium rise & high rise. The low & mid rise bars are real nice. I've seen an FT Ascot with drag bars & one with clubman style bars. It really looked dumb, uncomfortable & mis-matched. You have to be careful with those types of bars, that your hand controls don't dent the tank at full turn.

I used this headlight, mounting ears & turn signals set-up, but I requested black bodied turn signals:
http://www.speedmotoco.com/product-p/smc.404.mofo.htm  This set-up fits pretty good, but the backs of the mounting brackets just kiss the tank at full turn lock. Check out the other parts that company has to offer.

You might also want to check out Dime City Cycles for parts: http://www.dimecitycycles.com

Here is a link to some various after-market guage companies: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=72.0

Good luck
J.

Zedicus:
yeah i have seen tons of front ends on these bike.  heck an 07 cbr1000rr from the triple-tree out is nearly bolt on.  im just such a cheapskate though.

noted on the bar set up, thanks for the advice.

those gauges are nice but not within budget.  for now i am fitting some cb750 gauges that work, where as my stock gauges do not, and the 40$ i spent on thief-bay is within the budget.   when it is time to change the front wheel to something more modern i will fit f4i gauges and a vfr or 900rr speed sensor. 

the carb is shot and the motor is in need of a tune up.  it runs o.k. and will hold up untill i get around to finding a carb off of a late model 450 and getting a wiseco 10:1 piston.  i needs me one of those headpipes from thumperstuff too. 

i should have taken the pics facing away from the wall, then you could have seen some of my other projects....

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: Zedicus on April 15, 2014, 10:35:51 am ---....i should have taken the pics facing away from the wall, then you could have seen some of my other projects.... 
--- End quote ---

It's not too late. We like pictures. Especially other peoples projects.

I was in the process of building an FT500/CBR600 hybrid bike, but was side tracked with a large "Honey-Do" project. I've pretty much finished all the mock-ups & have my parts back from the powder coaters, etc. I just need a few days to re-assemble the bike & start the shake down runs. Here is the post on it in case you are interested in looking at it: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=79.0

Good luck
J.

Zedicus:
ive been reading that already. nice build.

this is my home built media server, i have a server rack in my basement and custom streaming media boxes throughout the house.

also my 2 turbo cars,  the close one is a 95 eagle talon that i literally just got the motor put back in.  its FWD

the one in back is a 91 eagle talon AWD, it is in need of a motor rebuild also.

i also have a 3rd gen eclipse i am building a stroker motor for, and a TRX250R (big bore with a 303 pro-cross kit) and a Blaster (wifes ride, custom stroker motor about 220cc) , ATV's.  they currently run and are not being worked on, amazingly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version