The Ascot 500 Forum > Welcome

From the sunny UK

<< < (2/3) > >>

hondapartsman:
Thank you for that, I'll have an experiment when I get in the mood, meanwhile there are some pics on my website if anyone's passing that way. I'm pleased to report we have yet another sunny day here in sunny Suffolk, unusually mild for February too and I expect to be riding again the end of next week, when I take one of my 250's for it's annual roadworthyness test. Just 3 miles there and 3 miles back, but it'll be a good few miles, I'm sure, as it'll be my first on the road since the end of June last year.

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: hondapartsman on February 21, 2014, 05:39:58 am ---Thank you for that, I'll have an experiment when I get in the mood, meanwhile there are some pics on my website if anyone's passing that way....
--- End quote ---

Please list your website address & I'll check it out.

I have an old 250cc 2-stroke in my shed that needs some finishing. It is a 1974 Honda MT250 Elsinore. I have stripped it down to the bare essentials, mounted a pair of Avon RoadRider tires on it & swapped the cylinder, head & piston to a CR250 top end. I had the cylinder cut down to improve the squish distance, but now need to have the combustion chamber opened up a bit to bring the compression down. Right now it tests at 220lbs of compression. It's a fun little canyon carver & fairly lightweight. It has an aluminum CR fuel tank & a few other CR parts here & there. Here are a few pictures of it back when it still had the original MT top end on it. Check out the mileage on the odometer when I took the pictures. It just happened to match the year of the bike. LOL!

Thanks
J.

hondapartsman:
I've added the website to my signature.
That's not a bike we had over here, officially, we had 125's but not 250's until 1978 or 1979 as I recall and even then only CR's, very few road going to strokes of any kind, except mopeds and other learner bikes. No doubt a few have found their way here since,  I'm sure I've been asked to try to find parts at least once, although mail order is a worldwide business and I don't always remember the countries people come from. Anyway, thanks for sharing that, nice to see although I'm not a 2 stroke guy myself. 

J6G1Z:
Very nice collection!

I hope you don't mind but I thought to copy some of it below.

This is the toy, not what you'd call concourse as such but shiny and just about bog standard. An unusual bike for the UK being a model intended only for the  Us and Canadian Market, a VT500FT ( flat track style allegedly) version of the VT500ED we had here and in Europe, the US also had a Shadow custom model and I think that was used in some European countries too. This is Canadian spec, 1984 model, lived for a while in Holland as far apparently and then for a while in Essex and came to me in 2011. I had some money, not much, and have fancied one of these since I saw one in the late 198o's or early 1990's . I forgot all about it though until, as i said with a little money to spare this one happened to come up. It came to me through work, another strange coincidence as bikes this old normally do not come into a modern dealership.  I like V twins, although this is rather different to my little 250. I also prefer air cooled bikes but would always make an exception for a v twin, or a triple ( like an early Hinckley Trident, Thunderbird or the like) . This is not a practical bike, carrying stuff is a big pain, I'd hate to go to far in case it rained but I like to ride it when I can. Not much this year, the weather was good but I had no money for tax and now it's taxed the weather is not good. I'll get some KM's on it sometime though, being Canadian it has a mainly KMH speedo with MPH inner ring,. which takes a little getting used to but is not so bad. All I've added is gaiters on the forks, I'm a believer in forks legs needed protection and gaiters making for a chunkier looking front end too, which I prefer.

hondapartsman:
No problem, the website such as it is is for public consumption, as it were. Thank you for your compliments, just keeping the old beasties going as best I can, and whittering on about that and various other things.
Talking about your MT250, I was a bit bored yesterday so had a scan around e-bay, just under 250's in the bike section, and there was a MT250 someone's selling, I think it had recently come over from the states. Talk about coincidence, before you ask though, no, I'll not be trying for it. If I got anymore bikes, as we're set up here now anyway, I think my wife would be looking at jail time because I'm sure she'd kill me. She's not even that happy when I talk about bringing my other 250 over from my parent house, she 'suggests' that I should just move it to our lock up garage a few miles down the road from there, close to where we used to live.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version