Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

removing the stock airbox '83 (shadow)

<< < (2/9) > >>

J6G1Z:
So... I've been thinking about your last post & I'm trying to determine what you are attempting to achieve.

Usually you modify the air intake & the exhaust outlet to allow a larger volume of air to be pumped through the engine as easily as possible. Then you add more fuel & that creates more power. Usually you start with modifying the exhaust to allow the engine to exhale easier & reduce pumping losses. Then you move over to the intake side.

If you build another airbox that has the same size holes in it... I'm thinking you might as well leave the factory box in place. The factory usually does a pretty good job on engineering the airbox & exhaust. The OEM components most likely provide the highest level of performance at the stock sound levels on the exhaust & the most weather protection on the intake. Now if you don't care how loud the exhaust is, than you can find more performance. If you don't care about hearing the carbs sucking air & don't ride in the water, etc, then you can find more flow on that end. More airflow + more fuel = more power & most likely a bit of a drop in MPG. Hopefully you build enough power that you need less throttle input to achieve the same speeds & maybe your MPG numbers break even.

It's all about what trade-offs you are willing to live with.

Well... I hope my ramblings make some form of sense & are helpful.

Good luck
J.

cdntfindanAscot:

--- Quote from: J6G1Z on October 25, 2013, 05:19:56 pm ---So... I've been thinking about your last post & I'm trying to determine what you are attempting to achieve.

--- End quote ---
Its purely cosmetic. not trying to gain an extra hp or two just trying to get a stripped down bare bones look. (this kind of style... http://thebikeshed.cc/2013/10/24/redmax-trumpet-tracker/  )(only a cheaper shed build  :-[ )
If I can lose the air box then i will swap out and hide the battery etc under the seat hump

J6G1Z:
Boy that is a great looking bike!

There is nothing as appealing to the eye like a Street Tracker done right.

J.

J6G1Z:
Hey there Nev,

Check out this bike.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ascotvt500enthusiasts/photos/albums/439561376/lightbox/1394657667

There are two pictures of it, unfortunately I don't have any info on it.

J.

cdntfindanAscot:
cheers J
looks like it has been done then, although the filter on that bike looks like its still in the wrapper, hope it worked  :)
nev

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version