Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

removing the stock airbox '83 (shadow)

(1/9) > >>

cdntfindanAscot:
Morning Gents,
I have posted the same question on the Shadow forum, but seeing as they share an engine with the Ascot thought I'd try here too in the hope that they're pretty much the same...

Pretty much what it says in the title. Has anyone successfully removed the stock air filter box etc and replaced it with a pod/ K&N/ Uni type filter?
I know these are a bit fussy when it comes to air and fuel intake but I'd like to lose the box on mine and it would be most helpful if I have a good starting point.

So can anyone out there say 'yes! you need filter X, jet Y and air screw out Z turns and away you go'?

I know its hoping for a miracle but you never know
cheers

J6G1Z:
I didn't remove my airbox on my VT500FT, but I modified it as much as I thought possible. I removed all the internal screens & replaced the filter with a K&N filter. (I don't run or recommend K&N filters any longer due to fine dust passing through to the clean side) I then cut off the rubber intake snorkle & replaced it with a small aluminum velocity stack that just fit into the opening.

I ran the MAC dual exhaust & had a Bike Shop tune the bike by placing sniffers up each pipe. I seem to recall that they went up on the main jet 2 sizes, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Check out the bike below. Unfortunately I don't have any info on the bike other than the picture.

Good luck
J.

J6G1Z:
It has been a while since I've worked on an VT500FT, but I seem to recall a large common plenum running under the fuel tank from the carbs to the airbox. I think that I would look into keeping that plenum & remove the airbox. Then locate a large UNI type of oiled foam filter that would go around the end of that plenum inlet. Just food for thought.

Whatever you end up doing. Please make a post that shows what you did.

Good luck
J.

PS. Another resource you might try is the FT500 Ascot owners group on Yahoo.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ascotvt500enthusiasts/conversations/messages

cdntfindanAscot:
cheers J
You are correct, there is a plenum/ big rubber sock that goes from the carbs to the airbox and the hope was to attach a filter to that.
now to Physics 101 :)
I am guessing that if i just remove the box and strap on a pod filter, the air flow speed, if different, (probably greater) would be what causes any upset?
does it make sense that if i take a stock air filter, make my own 'container' and have an inlet of the same size as the stock box it should work?
I know that the length of the inlet manifold (carb to cylinder) has an effect on performance but will air inlet length have an effect?
or is the air pressure/flow the same regardless of box size?
my brain hurts now, think i need a lie down ;)
cheers
nev

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: cdntfindanAscot on October 25, 2013, 01:28:08 pm ---....my brain hurts now, think i need a lie down ;)
cheers
nev
--- End quote ---

Huh....  :-\ My head hurts also. I will have to think about this over a nap. ;D

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version