Author Topic: Starter Problems (continued...)  (Read 10918 times)

alexjamesc

• I love my bike on the rare occasion it's running
Starter Problems (continued...)
« on: June 24, 2018, 03:54:20 pm »
So after lots of tinkering I think I found the problem (I hope). I made a post about my bike free spinning and only engaging once when starting and I began checking the solenoid relay etc etc. I decided to put a jumper pack grounded to the frame straight to the motor because theoretically in my mind if it still free spins or locks up in that case that would point me to something between the starter motor and the engine and I can ignore all the electrical before that. To my luck it still free spun so now I know its something in the latter half of the starting system. I opened my case up with the solenoid etc and noticed that the gear going from the solenoid to the fly wheel was pretty worn aswell as the fly wheel itself. My theory in this case is that the gear doesn't have enough metal to engage therefor when it pops out to engage the wheel it doesn't lock into the wheel properly free spins etc, in the case of when it engages once my theory is that it hits one of the few teeth that aren't too worn yet and turns the motor over once or twice. Fix > Replace the fly wheel and Pinion gear if thats what it's called? Any input on what you guys think it could be would be much appreciated. ALSO. Are flywheels universal for 2 cylinder and single cylinder bikes? Having a hard time tracking one down that the person knows which bike it's for. Thanks.
I love my bike on the rare occasion it's running

murdo

Re: Starter Problems (continued...)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 04:40:47 am »
Is this on an FT500 or VT500?