Author Topic: ascot vt500 with vlx600 pistons and cylinder head  (Read 14733 times)

gravelordsmc

ascot vt500 with vlx600 pistons and cylinder head
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:07:48 pm »
so im planning on a project i have alot of old parts around. i have a 1985 vt500 with bad valves and also some pistons and cylinder heads from a vlx600. looks like they will bolt right on to the ascot.  so long story short. im going to bore the cylinders to fit the vlx pistons  and use the cylinders heads from that as well.

Bucko

Re: ascot vt500 with vlx600 pistons and cylinder head
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 03:20:58 am »
Watching with enthusiasm  :)

If you're in there anyway......... It seems to me that the oil pump gears and chains, which are no longer avaible for the Ascot, are the same as those on the VLX (same arrangement, and possibly dimensions), except the VLX's gears and chain are HiVo (as opposed to the Ascot's regular roller chain).  Maybe you could see if the parts are swapable ?  If the parts are swapable, this would be a new source of parts for the Ascot.

gravelordsmc

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 02:04:58 am »
i agree and more horse as well. i will diffidently look into this for you

gravelordsmc

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 02:06:36 am »

If you're in there anyway......... It seems to me that the oil pump gears and chains, which are no longer avaible for the Ascot, are the same as those on the VLX (same arrangement, and possibly dimensions), except the VLX's gears and chain are HiVo (as opposed to the Ascot's regular roller chain).  Maybe you could see if the parts are swapable ?  If the parts are swapable, this would be a new source of parts for the Ascot.

any res you do on this will help and many others with this bike

gravelordsmc

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 03:25:44 pm »
got the pistons in and the bike seems to be running very strong the cylinder heads line up but im having problems with the valves 
so im going to a shop to see if there are any modifications i can do with this.

gravelordsmc

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 03:28:21 pm »

it looks like it would work but would need slight modification

Bucko

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 10:09:44 pm »
it looks like it would work but would need slight modification

Can you elaborate?