Author Topic: WTB - aftermarket exhaust or header  (Read 17275 times)

patrino

WTB - aftermarket exhaust or header
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:50:04 am »
Anyone have a used aftermarket header or exhaust around?

Picked up an FT500 last fall, and have had fun riding it, both street and trackdays.  Got the bike as a rolling basket, have since fit Hagons in the back, full RaceTech up front (springs and Gold Valves), 520 chain conversion.  Bike is running Hurricane forks and wheels, new Bridgestone Battlaxe 17" tires front and rear.  Motor, intake, and exhaust are stock, save a ThumperStuff rejet and foam air filter conversion (per suggestions here on the forum).

The bike is a blast to ride, but could use another handful of horsepower. 

My bike is "function over form" so I don't care if the exhaust system is banged up, road-rashed, etc. ... so long as it works.  Looks don't matter.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:44:54 am by patrino »

smcohio

Re: WTB - aftermarket exhaust or header
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 12:26:33 pm »
Jemco is one of the only distributors left that still produces the FT500 exhaust systems but they are not really road friendly. There is a full Kerker for sale on Ebay right now but i feel the price is a little steep on it. If you are still looking for an exhaust come winter/spring let me know, i am currently in design phase of an exhaust system and will probably do a few test prototypes for a discounted price if you are interested.

patrino

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 02:45:26 pm »
smcohio, thanks for the info!

I've spoken with the folks at Jemco.  Most of the folks racing FT500s here in Portland run a Jemco pipe, so there's lots of tuning info available.  (And for an extra ~$80 or so the Jemco folks said they'd weld in a fitting to accommodate a SuperTrapp disc kit, to quiet things down.)  I've seen their pipes (for FTs and others) and the quality is very good.  On the other hand, I've heard the leadtime for their systems is ~6 months.

I've been watching that pipe on eBay too.  Yes, the price is up there, for a used system.  (Watching the video of the bike, the pipe looks even worse than it does in the eBay ad photos.)

I'll keep in touch, if you come up with a good pipe design this year (and if I'm still looking) we should talk.

Did another track day on the bike this Thursday.  Every time I ride the bike it grows on me.  Still less power than I like but handles well, and the power's tractable.  My biggest concern was that I'd be dragging hard parts, but the pegs are always the first things to hit ... that's good news!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 05:19:12 pm »
Next best thing to a custom or after-market header pipe/exhaust.

http://www.emgo.com/images/pdf/2017%20_CLASSIC.pdf

80-84030B FLAT BLACK

80-84033 FLAT BLACK

80-84029B FLAT BLACK (track only application)

J.

patrino

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 12:56:07 pm »
Good to know, thank you for the catalog link and the recommendations!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 06:39:35 pm »
I have the 80-84033 FLAT BLACK on one of my bikes. (The other two were not available at the time.) It helps remove the cork. Still running the original head-pipes.

J.

patrino

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 05:14:33 pm »
Anyone know how the Kerker stacks up against a Jemco?

I'm not that knowledgeable about four-stroke exhausts, but see from photos that the distance from the exhaust valve to the 2-into-1 collector differs dramatically between the two system.  The Jemco collector is ~12"-16" after the exhaust valve, while the Kerker's collector is about where the stock one is.

triguyracer

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 10:34:52 pm »
A place you might try for looking for a pipe is on vft.org ,I found my White Brothers system on there for a what I feel was a cheap price.I use this site a lot as I am a vintage flat tracker they deal with modern and vintage stuff,FT and XR 500 motors where and still are popular motors for vintage dirttrackers,Put up a want ad and I am sure you will get a lot of responce

patrino

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 01:44:39 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion!  I've looked there now and then, but never sent a Want Ad.

Just requested one now .... let's see what turns up!

patrino

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 04:39:11 pm »
I ended up buying the Kerker off of eBay.  Yeah, it was overpriced, but it looks good (showed up today) and I'm excited about it.  I had a couple great offers from folks on vft.org (thanks again for the recommend, triguyracer) but decided on the Kerker.

Anyone have an idea of where I may end up, jetting-wise?  Stock engine and ignition, the Kerker pipe, stock carb, Uni foam air filter in place of the stock filter, stock airbox.  I'm going to pick up a selection of mains today and will do the work to get it right, but it's always nice to have a reference point.

Thanks, Patrick

Lefty

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 06:59:55 pm »
I’m curious to see the Kerker mounted up, at one time I almost bought the same set up, but went with the ThumperStuff header & finnagled a SuperTrapp can to it- looks killer.
Back to yours, let’s see some photos, man!!

patrino

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 04:34:08 pm »
will do - stay tuned!

patrino

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 03:10:27 pm »
Here we go ...