Author Topic: Kickstarter & compression release & electric start  (Read 10434 times)

greenjeans

Kickstarter & compression release & electric start
« on: July 08, 2017, 10:35:57 am »
Ok, so my recently acquired 82 FT500 has a shaft for the Kickstarter already installed.  However, it does not have the kick arm/lever.  Going to find one from an XR500 on eBay.  It also does not have a compression release.   I would need to find one correct?   The bike has 7000 miles and looks like it has never spent a night outside.  It's impossibly clean.  Definitely the cleanest bike I've bought in the last decade.    And of course, my starter doesn't work.  I'm getting a click off the solenoid, so I'll be digging into that today.   I was able to start it by rolling it down the drive way a few times and bumping it.   Fired right up and settled into a nice idle almost immediately. 

Should I find a compression release?  Found a few videos of ones mounted off the right side of the valve cover.  I've also seen a bar mounted lever.  What should I be looking for and why isn't one needed with an electric start?   Off to the tech section

grcamna2

Re: Kickstarter & compression release & electric start
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:35:04 pm »
Do you have a pic of it ?