Author Topic: Potential VT500 purchase (Oh, who am I kidding....it's probably a done deal)  (Read 13323 times)

scott s

I made an introduction thread on the FT side.

http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=789.0

I've known for years that a friend picked up an Ascot. I've not seen it on person and she really knows nothing about motorcycles. She once had a pipe dream about riding and bought this bike. Any time we talked about it, I was under the impression that it was the single.
 Today, she finally got around to taking some pics for me. SURPRISE!! It's a VT500!

She said it needs a caliper because the P.O. told her. That could mean anything from a complete brake overhaul to just a minor rebuild. All stuff I've done plenty of times and am comfortable with. Are the calipers and rebuild parts readily available for this bike?
 I don't know how many miles are on it yet. The tank looks like it could use a cleaning, but doesn't look rotten. I'm working on setting up an in person viewing.
 Give me some pointers and any known weak points for this model that I should be aware of. I'm known to haul home complete basket cases, so working on them isn't a problem. But if there are model specific things to check, let me know.

It has a title, hasn't run in a few years, and I can get it for under a grand. Possibly way under. Any way to tell from the pics what year it is?

scott s

These are the only other two pics she sent. If the tank is solid, I can clean it. No problem....done it plenty of times. I'll just assume the carbs need done. I have a great carb guy within walking distance of my house.
 Then, normal stuff: fork oil, battery, plugs, engine oil and filter, etc.
 And I'm sure the tires are toast, too.

It's possible I can even work out a package deal with this CB360. I don't want it....just sold two NICE CL350's, but I might be able to flip it.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
The VT500FT Ascots were made in '83-'84.

Sometimes the fuel tank will rust through at the lowest point by the seat due to ethanol fuel & moisture. Replacement tanks are near impossible to find. The coils go bad after a while. Replacements are available through Honda & Rick's Motosports.

Usually they run well & are fairly maintenance free.

My first Ascot was a '84 Black VT. It was a great bike!

Good luck
J.

Bucko

It's looks like it's in really nice shape under that dust.

I'd use a POR kit to clean and coat the inside of the tank.

I wouldn't assume the carbs need to be rebuilt.  I'd get some fuel flowing through them - i.e. ride it for a while - even if it's running a bit rough - before rebuilding carbs.

There's a vacuum actuated fuel shut off built into the  fuel tap.  I think they're pretty bulletproof but if you trouble getting fuel from the tank to the carbs - check the tap first.

Brakes are easy to rebuild - probably don't need anything but a complete disassemble, cleaning (particularly the seal groves - you can use a dreamel with wire wheel for that) and reassemble.  If you do need new seals (I bet you won't) I think they're still available as the Ascot caliper was used on a bunch of other Honda bikes.

Check and adjust (if necessary) the valve clearance.  Easy to do.

Hard to tell the year from the pictures as there was a black model one year and a very dark blue (which can look black) model the other year .  The year will be on the steering neck ID plate/sticker.

It'll probably burn some oil as the valve seals from that vintage tend to get either hard or soft and leak a bit.  Unfortunately you have to pull the motor to get at the seals (but it should be possible to do without removing the head) - but I wouldn't bother until the time you have to have the engine out of the frame for some other reason (which may be never  :)) - just be mindful of when you need to add some oil.

If you don't buy it, let me know, I'm interested (depending on where it is).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:08:52 am by Bucko »

scott s

I thought they had hydraulic valve adjusters?

Bucko

No hydraulic valves.  Cam followers with tappet screw adjuster.

scott s

Ah....read this article. I guess it's wrong. I found a couple more  that DON'T mention the hydraulic adjusters.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/1984-honda-ascot-vt500

Bucko

Yes, the article is wrong.  I just did my annual valve adjustment yesterday.

PS: Biggest pain in the ass ever: - when you take out the spark plugs under the rubber grommets (one of the two in each cylinder) make sure your spark plug socket has a good condition plug keeper in it - i.e. so the plug doesn't fall out of the socket when you pull it out.  It happened to me yesterday - the rubber keeper in my socket wouldn't 'keep' - the plug fell out and it was a royal pain in the ass to get it out as it wedged itself sideways in the spark plug cavity under that rubber grommet.

scott s

I just did a valve adjustment and carb R&R on an '85 VF500 Interceptor. It can't be as bad as that!
 I had new rubber intake manifolds for the VF. Are the VT manifolds pretty good at being reusable a few times?

Bucko

I don't know about the VF500 as I've never worked on one.  But on the VT500 motor, there's a big bulbous cavity under the spark plug rubber boot - enough of a cavity so that a spark plug can lay completely sideways in the cavity even though the opening to access the plus is only a bit larger that the spark plug socket.

scott s

Heh....if you look closely, you can see the 8mm wrench I was using to adjust the valves on the Interceptor. I dropped it and it slipped and slid right down into that pocket in the swing arm. Took almost two hours to fish out. I thought I was going to have to remove the swing arm for a minute there.

Bucko

Ya, that doesn't look like fun  :)