Author Topic: My FT500/CBR600 Hybrid Project...  (Read 59533 times)

thumperdh

Re: My FT500/CBR600 Hybrid Project...
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2014, 06:16:15 pm »
J, what's been going on with this bad boy? I was looking for a way to clean up the tail section of my FT and I remembered your integrated license plate frame. I think i might have to jack your style and get one myself.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2014, 11:07:38 pm »
Funny you should ask... I spent part of today straightening up my little shop & re-aquanting myself with the bike. I haven't really touched it since around Christmas time. I kind of ran out of money for a while. I then decided that this would be the year that the little woman's greenhouse is finally built. So I've been playing carpenter instead of wrenching on the bike. The greenhouse was completed recently, so it's time to get back to work & finish the bike. It shouldn't take very long, as I'm pretty sure that most everything is there & ready for assembly.

Thanks
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 06:18:14 pm »
Well... The tool box was cracked open, tools were operated & sweat happened. ;D

The bike is a roller again. So much easier to turn it around vs. ratcheting it around on the center stand. All that needs done now is the wiring for the TrailTech gauge, change the oil & filter, then re-assemble. Shouldn't take long now.

For those of you who do the CBR rear wheel & a 520 chain conversion, be prepared to align the sprockets. I ended up using a thick washer per bolt between the countershaft sprocket & the retainer. On the tail end, I ended up using two washers per stud between the sprocket & the wheel. This is to move the countershaft sprocket in towards the center by about 1/16th to an 1/8th of an inch & the rear sprocket out away from the wheel by a 1/16th to an 1/8th of an inch. This aligns the sprockets better for a straight chain run.

Stay tuned...

Thanks
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 07:13:36 pm »
Well....  ???

I RODE IT TODAY !  ;D 8)

thumperdh

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 11:32:35 pm »
Awesome. And how was it?
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 10:49:42 am »
I just took it around the block real quick, but it feels real light & fun. I need to fill it up with some fresh fuel.

It breaks up a bit about mid throttle range. I'm hoping that fresh fuel might clean that up. I ended up using a 520 series chain with a 17 tooth countershaft & a 39 tooth rear. I originally ordered a 16 tooth, but received a 17 by mistake. The bike seems to pull away from a dead stop just fine with this gear ratio & my 200 lbs, so I think that I will leave it with the 17 tooth sprocket. It barely fits inside the side case with the chain on.

When you mount a UNI type of sock filter on the carb & a K&N type of filter on the crankcase breather, it makes a bit of noise. LOL! You can easily hear the carb sucking air & the crankcase breather makes a slight popping noise. I kind of like it.

I still need to program the Trail Tech Vapor unit. Set the correct time, input wheel diameter, etc. Then figure out how to use it. That gauge has a lot of features. I'm especially interested in the cylinder head temperature gauge. There are two LED's at the top of the gauge. A yellow LED initial warning that the temperature is climbing & a red LED that you are hot. They are set to water cooled ranges & need to have the limits increased.

The bike still feels & looks like an Ascot, it's just a bit lower, quicker & the brakes are awesome! I'll post up some more info & some pictures after I wash it & take it for a real shake down run.

Thanks
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2014, 01:24:33 pm »
Here are a few pics. As you can see, it doesn't look much different than stock unless you know where to look.

J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2014, 01:26:07 pm »
Here a few more....  ;D

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 08:11:10 pm »
I went out for a bit of a shake down run. Other than a probable jetting issue around the 3800 to 4200 RPM range, it runs GREAT! It's a real fun bike to ride. It still feels like an Ascot at first, but it is a bit more rowdy on the throttle, real smooth through the turns & the brakes are awesome with that Brembo master cylinder up front. True one finger braking.

Now I want to swap out the camshaft for a performance grind & a higher compression piston. LOL! It never ends.

J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2014, 04:04:41 pm »
Today was the big test. The little woman rode the bike... ???

...And she loved it! The bike fits her about perfectly. We went to a big parking lot with a nice long straight away running along the back. We had about half the lot to ourselves, plus the back stretch. She has been riding a Honda MB5 for the last couple of summers. Plus she rode a 250cc Cruiser style bike in her motorcycle safety class. She took to the new Ascot with no problem. She just cruised around real slow at first, but after about 20 minutes or so, she was racing down the back stretch. I doubt that she went much faster than about 30 mph, but for her that's pretty good progress in one session. She's usually a bit timid with the throttle. Looks like I may have lost my new bike. LOL! That's OK. It was built with the idea of the G/F riding it also. So far the bike is a success. I just need to find out why it bogs out at 3800 to 4200 rpm. It runs great above & below that rpm range, but right in the middle of the throttle it chokes.

J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 09:42:06 pm »
Hey J, sorry for not responding sooner about your jetting question, but I've been out of town for work.
I had the same symptoms when I fitted the K&N filter directly to the air-box boot. This was corrected by fitting a larger main jet, in my case a jet drilled to 185, although I'll probably fit a "real" 190 when I get around to it. ;)
For now the bike runs great, so it's sort of a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" thing. ;D

Slyphon

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 01:13:59 pm »
Hi J6,

I just got a couple questions on your custom dash.

What did you use to secure the gauge, ignition and choke in your fabricated "dash"?

How's it work when driving down the road, does the vibration cause much issue with legibility?

What'd you do with the old fuse box that use to double as handlebar clamps? Where'd you place it and how did you rewire the fuse?

I'd be close to having my bike running again once I get this damn dash mounted.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 03:49:01 pm »
Hi J6,

I just got a couple questions on your custom dash.

What did you use to secure the gauge, ignition and choke in your fabricated "dash"?

How's it work when driving down the road, does the vibration cause much issue with legibility?

What'd you do with the old fuse box that use to double as handlebar clamps? Where'd you place it and how did you rewire the fuse?

I'd be close to having my bike running again once I get this damn dash mounted.

Greetings,

My "dash" is a very simple plate. I drilled two mounting holes for the gauge & a larger hole for the wires to go through, plus a hole for the reset button. Then another hole down below for the ignition & one on the side for the choke. Be careful not to over tighten the bolts on the gauge or the ignition. You might crack the plastic case. I can read it just fine whenever I look at it.

I disassembled that fuse box to the backing plate & wrapped it with electrical tape. It barely fits into the headlight. A couple of inline fuse holders would be a better solution.

Good luck
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2022, 05:11:13 pm »
Anyone interested in buying this Ascot?

Thinking about cutting it loose.

I can be reached at: SS44 at Hotmail.com