First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

My FT500/CBR600 Hybrid Project...

<< < (7/8) > >>

J6G1Z:
I just took it around the block real quick, but it feels real light & fun. I need to fill it up with some fresh fuel.

It breaks up a bit about mid throttle range. I'm hoping that fresh fuel might clean that up. I ended up using a 520 series chain with a 17 tooth countershaft & a 39 tooth rear. I originally ordered a 16 tooth, but received a 17 by mistake. The bike seems to pull away from a dead stop just fine with this gear ratio & my 200 lbs, so I think that I will leave it with the 17 tooth sprocket. It barely fits inside the side case with the chain on.

When you mount a UNI type of sock filter on the carb & a K&N type of filter on the crankcase breather, it makes a bit of noise. LOL! You can easily hear the carb sucking air & the crankcase breather makes a slight popping noise. I kind of like it.

I still need to program the Trail Tech Vapor unit. Set the correct time, input wheel diameter, etc. Then figure out how to use it. That gauge has a lot of features. I'm especially interested in the cylinder head temperature gauge. There are two LED's at the top of the gauge. A yellow LED initial warning that the temperature is climbing & a red LED that you are hot. They are set to water cooled ranges & need to have the limits increased.

The bike still feels & looks like an Ascot, it's just a bit lower, quicker & the brakes are awesome! I'll post up some more info & some pictures after I wash it & take it for a real shake down run.

Thanks
J.

J6G1Z:
Here are a few pics. As you can see, it doesn't look much different than stock unless you know where to look.

J.

J6G1Z:
Here a few more....  ;D

J6G1Z:
I went out for a bit of a shake down run. Other than a probable jetting issue around the 3800 to 4200 RPM range, it runs GREAT! It's a real fun bike to ride. It still feels like an Ascot at first, but it is a bit more rowdy on the throttle, real smooth through the turns & the brakes are awesome with that Brembo master cylinder up front. True one finger braking.

Now I want to swap out the camshaft for a performance grind & a higher compression piston. LOL! It never ends.

J.

J6G1Z:
Today was the big test. The little woman rode the bike... ???

...And she loved it! The bike fits her about perfectly. We went to a big parking lot with a nice long straight away running along the back. We had about half the lot to ourselves, plus the back stretch. She has been riding a Honda MB5 for the last couple of summers. Plus she rode a 250cc Cruiser style bike in her motorcycle safety class. She took to the new Ascot with no problem. She just cruised around real slow at first, but after about 20 minutes or so, she was racing down the back stretch. I doubt that she went much faster than about 30 mph, but for her that's pretty good progress in one session. She's usually a bit timid with the throttle. Looks like I may have lost my new bike. LOL! That's OK. It was built with the idea of the G/F riding it also. So far the bike is a success. I just need to find out why it bogs out at 3800 to 4200 rpm. It runs great above & below that rpm range, but right in the middle of the throttle it chokes.

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version