Author Topic: CDI boxes  (Read 13898 times)

Duke52

CDI boxes
« on: August 19, 2016, 09:35:14 pm »
Is there a source for new CDI boxes?  Have very weak spark and all tests point to the CDI. Don't really want to trust 30 year old used ones. 1983 VT500

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: CDI boxes
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:21:53 pm »
Check out: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=651.0

Or contact: http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com

Are you positive that the coils are good? Usually that is the problem.

J.

Duke52

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 10:54:50 pm »
I ran all the checks with ohmmeter according to shop manual, Pulse generator & coils check out good, but there does seem to be some debate about the value of these checks. Ricks does not list a CDI or ignitor box, for the VT, only the FT single cylinder. I contacted them and they checking into making a box for the VT, just have to wait and see if they can do it. Guess if used is all I can get then that's what I'll do. Was hoping someone would have a source for these as there seems to be a demand for them. Thanks for the reply.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 12:00:28 am »
Rick's has the ability to produce a new CDI box, as I have tested one that they developed in the past. It is a one piece unit with a plug-in wiring harness vs. the original two units that the Ascot uses. You will have to modify one of the rubber mounts to mount it up. You may need to speak to Rick directly for information.

I do have two igniter boxes from a low mileage Ascot for sale if you are interested.

Thanks
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 11:00:25 am »
Forgot to mention that I have a pair of coils from the same bike.

The bike had 13260 miles on it when it was involved in an accident.

J.

Duke52

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 02:03:40 pm »
Hey thanks for the info. may get back to you on those parts. Seems age is more a killer than mileage, this bike I just bought has less than 14,000 miles and in beautiful condition, but something is causing the weak spark.

Duke52

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 04:51:06 pm »
Rick's has the ability to produce a new CDI box, as I have tested one that they developed in the past. It is a one piece unit with a plug-in wiring harness vs. the original two units that the Ascot uses. You will have to modify one of the rubber mounts to mount it up. You may need to speak to Rick directly for information.

Thanks
J.
Just wondering, if Ricks has previously made this CDI/Ignitor/Spark Unit, why don't they have them listed for sale? They list one for the old FT500, Seems to me this would be a popular item, fitting the Ascot and the Shadow both, and there sure seems to be need for it. Do you know what price they had on it, that would be the only killer that I could see. The old FT box sells for $120, I'd happily pay that twice for a pair of new boxes for my VT, or single box if that's what they have.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 07:48:09 pm »
You would have to ask Rick.

J.

Duke52

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 10:16:06 am »
So did this box they developed work OK? Where you happy with your test of it, and would you recommend it? Thanks.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 10:55:49 am »
There were 2 or 3 versions developed that I & another Ascot owner tested.

Bike ran great. The other tester was able to compile more detailed data. I only had riding impression to go by.

J.

Duke52

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 09:55:13 am »
J - sent you an e-mail about the parts you have for sale -thanks