Author Topic: Plugs & things  (Read 10280 times)

briankk

Plugs & things
« on: August 27, 2016, 01:55:21 pm »
Hello, I'm new here with a question.  I've just taken in an old '84 VT500, in pretty sad shape.  I've never seen one of these before, so am not doing much to it 'till the manual gets here, but in the meantime:  Whats with the spark plugs?  I have the usual collection of plug wrenches, but none seem to fit.  Does this thing require a special plug wrench?
While we're here, the tank is all rusty and nasty, I pulled the petcock, intending to strip it and boil it, but the selection lever seems to be riveted in.  In other bikes I've fooled with, there are rubber bits behind the selector switch, so I'm reluctant to have at this with either chemicals or boiling water.  Any advice/knowledge gratefully accepted..

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Plugs & things
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:00:54 pm »
Does your bike have the original tool kit?

There should be an elongated plug socket in the tool kit. If not, you will have to experiment with finding a deep socket type of plug remover. I think I used one for an XR400, but I could be remembering wrong. I sold my VT Ascot a while back, so I'm no longer able to go out & look at things to answer questions.

Here is a post on the Ascot fuel petcocks: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=256.msg1197#msg1197
Doesn't really answer your question, but you might find it helpful.

J.

briankk

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:42:22 am »
Bike did not come w/OEM tool kit.  Will try to hunt one up.

I'd rather not convert to conventional petcock unless no other choice, the stock one doesn't seem defective, just dirty.  Can parts still be had?

briankk

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 04:31:07 pm »
Rummaged around in my old stuff, found the perfect plug wrench.  It's so perfect, it must be the Honda factory plug tool, or if not, it should be.
I've taken a picture of it, if I can figure out how to attach it.
It's 122mm long, (4.8"), 18mm id on the big end, 17mm od  on the small end, fits right down on the plug with just enough too left sticking out to turn with a 17mm box or socket..

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 05:33:40 pm »
That looks like what I recall.

J.

Duke52

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 06:20:17 pm »
18mm deepwell socket works for the plugs. The bottom of the petcock unscrews, you can clean the cup and screen.