Author Topic: Almost an FT owner  (Read 12816 times)

Xmarksthespot

Almost an FT owner
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:07:22 pm »
  8) Hello all, from Vancouver Island in British Columbia, as the title suggests I am not quite there yet. I am looking at an '82 FT, it looks good in the picyures, has 24000 kms (about 13000 miles for the non metric). So I see common issue revolves around the starter problem, how difficult is the repair, do they all suffer a failure or is it luck of the draw and is there a mileage limit where they commonly fail?

The owner claims it has been stored indoors for the 12 years he has owned it, no reason to doubt that, he does want a bit for it, around 1600 Canadian $.  I have always liked the look of them even though I think they missed the mark a bit, a VT would be nice but they seem a bit harder to come by.

So mostly I hope to get a response to my above questions and is there anything I need to ask or look for as to issues with the bike. Thanks in advance for any response, hope to be an owner and participating member soon. 

Xmarksthespot

Re: Almost an FT owner
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 03:46:27 pm »
 8) having now read the FAQ's I have a much better idea of things to look for as I go to check the bike out, I am riding up on my Yamaha MT01 so maybe I can dazzle him with a bike rarely seen, probably not, but a good day for a ride. There is some great information here, hope I can make a deal with the fellow....

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 06:46:24 pm »
The FT starter requires periodic maintenance like is described in the Tech section. Keep it clean & lubricated. You also want to have a strong battery, plus prime the carb well before starting the engine, by twisting the throttle several times to actuate the accelerator pump. Anything that will minimize the work the starter must perform is beneficial.

Good luck
J.

Xmarksthespot

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 10:14:58 pm »
 8)well that didn't work out as planned, the bike was not up to my expectations, a bit too much $, a bit rough, not bad mileage, strong sounding engine. If I was inclined it would be a great platform for a cafe style bike, but not being as limber and lithe as I once was, not for me.

I do have a line on one with double the mileage, but In better original like condition. The hunt continues.......