Author Topic: picture of my modified 82  (Read 23420 times)

tdub73

picture of my modified 82
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:04:51 pm »
I just took some pics with my phone and can't figure out to re size them...will try again with a real camera.. >:(

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: picture of my modified 82
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:33:52 pm »
Can't wait to see the pics. I don't know how to transfer pics from a phone, but here is a topic on how to post pics.
http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=2.0

Good luck
J.

tdub73

Re: picture of my modified 82...i took the front fender off
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:20:26 pm »
i took the front fender off

tdub73

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:22:10 pm »
need to do some rear end work..trim it down

tdub73

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:25:07 pm »
Probably gonna re jet carb and do something with the air box..like eliminate and go with an open air...would really like an xr 500 carb. any questions im glad to answer

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:34:17 pm »
Is that CBR wheels & forks on your bike, or Interceptor?

Looks like it handles good & will stop on a dime.

I'm doing the same thing with one of my Ascots. You really need to up-jet the carb if it is still stock. You want at least a #145 main jet and a #58 low speed jet. This really wakes up the FT500. When you have some time check out this topic. http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=10.0

Thanks for the pics
J.

tdub73

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:10:11 pm »
cbr hurricane wheels and forks 87-91 ;)
I'm looking forward to doing the carb. Thanks

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 03:14:40 pm »
cbr hurricane wheels and forks 87-91 ;)
I'm looking forward to doing the carb. Thanks

That's what I'm using. 1989 CBR600 Hurricane wheels & forks. I'm going to run without a front fender though.

Changing the jets is fairly easy. The hardest part for me was to break loose the 3 screws that hold the float bowl on to the carb body. I ended up stripping the head of one of them & had to get the vice grips on it to turn it. After that it was easy. I've done the job on two FT500's & both times I was able to just barely get it done without having to remove the carb. I just loosened it up & tilted it towards the left side of the bike as you sit on it. I have a set of gunsmith screwdrivers that I used to remove the jets. The slow speed jet can be difficult because you can't see it & it's small. It's up inside a tube like portion of the carb body. It's a worthy modification & really helps the engines throttle response, plus it allows you to pull a larger countershaft sprocket for more top end.

I bought my jets & a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket from Thumper Stuff.  http://www.thumperstuff.com/FT500.html

Good Luck
J.

tdub73

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:53:53 pm »
I looked at that site and didn't see jets listed? :-[ Do you know what the stock jetting is? thanks

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:10:36 pm »
Thumper Stuff doesn't have everything listed on their web-site that they sell.

I can't recall what the original jet sizes are any longer. You want to purchase a #145 main jet and a #58 low speed jet.

Give Thumper Stuff a call & Mark will help you out.

Good luck
J.

huskyfrk

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »
 keeping  the  stock  air  box  is a  good idea.   air box's  help make  horsepower,  vs  a  open  filter..       

thumperdh

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 10:44:55 pm »
Tdub. where did you relocate the headlight fuses to?
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 11:22:24 am »
Tdub. where did you relocate the headlight fuses to?

I'm not Tdub, but... I was able to take the fuse panel & stuff it into my new round headlight housing. I wrapped the fuse panel with electrical tape to prevent a short & packed it in there with the rest of the wires. It barely makes it, but I got it all in there. The Trick thing to do, would be to eliminate that square plastic panel & replace it with a couple of inline fuse holders like what is used for the power line on a car stereo. That would be real clean & much easier to stuff into the headlight bucket.

Good luck
J.

johnnymot1

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 01:01:26 am »
Thanks for sharing.....Plan on doing that to one of the FT500s I just picked up.....I've heard some argue for the nighthawk fork and wheel set up too, so I'm investigating. Ready to grab a set of those jets and modify the one nicest ride I just got now, as well as the counter sprockets......Good inspiration and reference as I look at several FT500 builds from my projects I just bought.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 10:13:30 am »
Thanks for sharing.....Plan on doing that to one of the FT500s I just picked up.....I've heard some argue for the nighthawk fork and wheel set up too, so I'm investigating. Ready to grab a set of those jets and modify the one nicest ride I just got now, as well as the counter sprockets......Good inspiration and reference as I look at several FT500 builds from my projects I just bought.

I have not heard about the Nighthawk forks fitting up. You can basically make just about any front end fit with the correct bearings and/or spacers. The beauty of the Interceptor or Hurricane forks are that they are the same tube diameter & side to side spacing as the OEM Ascot forks so they slide right up into the Ascot triple clamps. That way you don't have to change the triple clamps or bearings. Of the two, I feel that the early Hurricane CBR600 forks are the ones that you want. Not only does the Hurricane have a 17" front wheel, (The Interceptor has a 16" front wheel) but it also has a 17X3.5" rear wheel that fits into the Ascot swingarm like it was meant to be there. Supposedly the fork tubing wall thickness is thicker on the Hurricane forks as compared to the Ascots 37mm fork tubes, so they don't flex as much. The draw-back is that either front end lowers the bike by about 2+" and the oil sump is starting to get real close to the street. You have to be careful of speed bumps, etc.

Good luck & please let us know what you find out.
J.

johnnymot1

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 11:54:26 pm »
I'll have to look back and verify where I saw that and will share when I do...Seems like it may have been advrider and the guy ran his FT on the track.....He mentioned they were "beefier" forks and had a bigger single front disc superior to the 2 hurricane discs.....I'll have to see if I can track it down to supplant my memory.....

The hurricane front/rear swap sounds and looks nice however and it's a serious consideration for one of my builds of one of the bikes that is "less than original" that I picked up. I have noticed the low sump on the pans, as the 4 I've had to load/unload recently all "catch" where my bike trailer ramp goes onto the rails....

If I can find the comment about the nighthawk forks I will copy and paste/post!

johnnymot1

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 12:27:25 am »
Sure you guys may have seen this and it's the Hawk GT front end being talked about here....not the "nighthawk" as I mentioned....

Interesting to someone like me in gathering info, but the front/rear wheel swap of the interceptor sounds like a good deal...

"Mark Hatten:
For front forks, I run Race Tech emulators in Honda Hawk GT forks on my race bike and really like them. However, for me it wasn't the night and day difference that some people seem to experience. I think the stock fork modifications I describe below are the best "bang for the buck" for a street machine. Still, the FT's forks are flimsy with a huge, heavy front wheel, so they're never going to perform all that well.
I ran Progressive Springs in the Ascot forks, and run them in the Hawk forks as well, although some people really don't like them for racing. I may try some Race Tech straight rate springs this year. As for dive problems with the stock forks you can braze up the damping rods. The Ascot suffers from a near total lack of damping, both compression and rebound. Also, sag should be set in the 1.25" to 1.5" range. After doing the above, then you can try increasing the oil volume in the forks, which will help lessen the dive. After that, you might try cutting a coil or two of the "soft" end of the springs (close wound), and replacing that with a preload spacer of additional length. I'll argue against the Hurricane front fork swap and argue for a Hawk GT front end, which is what I have on my Ascot race bike. The entire Hawk front end bolts directly on the Ascot, even using the same bearings. Slide the Ascot triples out, slide the Hawk in. The Hawk has stouter fork tubes (41mm vs. 37mm), it's lighter, has better brakes (one larger disc vs. two smaller discs and calipers -- more unsprung weight. Plus, Hurricanes are well known for discs that heat crack.), and with the Hawk there is no anti-dive crap to remove. Hawk front ends seem pretty easy to find from private parties (Hawk racers replace with F2/F3 mainly for the 3.5" wheel) for between $250 and $400. Jim Davis on the THUMPER list usually has one or knows where to get one. The Hurricane stuff seems harder to find from private parties, and most of the wrecking yards still want $500 and up for just about any complete front end. You can order Ascot tapered steering head bearings for $45.99 from Dennis Kirk. Shipping's free if total order is more than $50. Dennis Kirk - 1-800-328-9280. For rear suspension, I'd try a set of Progressive Suspension 1200 shocks. They're about $150 mail order, complete with springs. Order a set 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer than stock for a bit quicker steering and better ground clearance. They also make a 1700 model which have adjustable damping that are about $250 or $300. Add a set of Progressive Suspension front springs and you'll have a great street suspension for a minimal outlay of cash. You can spend more on shocks (Works Performance, $250 to $400, up to White Power and Ohlins at $700-plus), but you really won't see the benefits on the street. I use custom-built alloy-bodied Works Performance shocks on my racebike (Honda FT500). "

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 10:10:48 am »
Ah... The Hawk GT. Yes I recall that swap now. I don't know how easy it is to find those front ends any longer.

A word of advise when buying a front or rear wheel & brake assembly. Pick up an inexpensive thickness gauge: http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-thickness-gauge-66319.html 
or a set of micrometers & check the thickness of the brake disks/rotors. Make sure that they are thicker than the minimum thickness that is stamped on the disk. My Hurricane rear disk is less than the stamped minimum thickness & the fronts are getting close. I should probably replace all three disks, but the best pricing that I've found so far is $132 each. That's more than I paid for the complete Hurricane running gear. :'(

Good luck
J.