Author Topic: How To Remove Trip Odometer Reset Knob?  (Read 10915 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
How To Remove Trip Odometer Reset Knob?
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:13:04 am »
By any chance does anyone know how to remove the trip odometer reset knob?

Is there a small screw inside the knob that threads into the reset shaft?

I know that it doesn't just pull off. I can move it easily about 1/8th of an inch back & forth on the reset shaft, but it will not pull off. It feels as if there is a set screw somewhere that retains it onto the shaft.

Thank you
J.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:47:16 am by J6G1Z »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: How To Remove Trip Odometer Reset Knob?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:56:09 am »
Well... After locating a magnifying glass & using a better source of light, I was able to just barely make out the tell-tale sign of the Phillips pattern way down inside the reset knob. There is no way that I have a Phillips screwdriver that small. Were talking eye-glasses screw type of small. Fortunately I do have a small set of jewelers screwdrivers, but they are all flat blades. Luckily the screw wasn't very tight & I was able to back it out with a very small flat blade screwdriver.

Now for all you Ascot owners out there... I recommend that you go right out to your bike after reading this & try to wiggle your trip odometer reset knob. If there is any play in it, you may want to try & remove that screw. Then put some Lock-Tite on the threads & tighten it back up. Be very careful not to drop the screw, as you may never find it again.

Good luck
J.

michiganadam

Re: How To Remove Trip Odometer Reset Knob?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 12:52:05 pm »
Mine fell out in 1984 i think.