Author Topic: Cams Available for the FT500  (Read 12378 times)

upperb

Cams Available for the FT500
« on: June 06, 2015, 07:17:54 pm »
Hi all.

I would like to put a bigger cam in my FT500.  It has a 10.5:1 Wiseco piston, cleaned-up intake and exhaust ports, 36mm Mikuni, K&N filter and a White Bros./Supertrapp Exhaust. 

This is a street bike, not a roadracer.  What cam or cams should I be considering?  It seems like the White Bros. cam was a favorite, but it appears that White Bros. was purchased by Vance and Hines and that no cams for the FT are offered.  Is Megacycle still in business?  The catalog they have online is dated 2012.  Do any of you have experience with cams from Web Cam? 

Thank you all for any advice you may give me.

Joe

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Cams Available for the FT500
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:28:39 am »
I believe that Megacycle offers the most options. You will most likely want to send your rocker arms in for a hard facing. Try giving them a call.

J.

upperb

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 12:07:50 pm »
Thank you very much.

Joe

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 12:36:13 am »
Webcam grind # 402 has the same valve lift and advertized duration as the White Bros WBX-1 cam. They may have actually ground the White Bros cams? The mildest of the Megacycle cams has .035" less valve lift, and about 17 more degrees advertized duration than the WB cam, which in theory would favor a higher RPM power band.
Can you provide more details about your Mikuni setup and WB exhaust? Does the exhaust use the stock head-pipes?

upperb

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 03:48:23 pm »
Scottly.

I haven't taken delivery of the bike, yet.  I will be doing so the end of the month.  When I do, I will answer your questions.  Take care.

Joe

upperb

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:59:18 pm »
Scottly,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your inquiry about the White Bros. exhaust and the 38mm Mikuni.

The exhaust does not use the stock head pipes.  The head pipes, flanges and collector are painted, mild steel.

The jetting when I got the bike was pretty far off.  Ran great on top end, but very rich in the low and mid range.  After some fiddling, ended up with the following:

Pilot-35
Needle Jet-P-5
Air jet-2.0
Slide-2.5
Jet Needle-6F8
Main-220

The bike idles smoothly and pulls strong throughout the RPM range.  I haven't welded a bung into the header yet, which would allow me to measure the A/F ratio using a wide-band O2 sensor, but the jetting is darn close.

Good luck.

hellblom

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 03:55:46 pm »
Hi upperb

are you still on the forum? Do you still have your Ascot?

I am putting a Wiseco 10.5:1 piston in and am curious on your experiences. Were you able to find a camshaft?

Olle