Author Topic: Starter issues...some questions for the masters.  (Read 10658 times)

patriotemt

Starter issues...some questions for the masters.
« on: May 20, 2015, 04:02:34 pm »
So, my solenoid is bad. No question. And, as many members have found (I'm guessing) the aftermarket solution sucks pond water.
So, I've ebayed a used one. Time will tell if it's an improvement or I just bought another time bomb solenoid.. In the meantime, any home remedies I should consider if this isn't working?
Serves me right for not buying a kicker...DOH!

FT500R

Re: Starter issues...some questions for the masters.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:22:03 am »
I've got the same issues, i've replaced the solenoid 2 times already.
Im actually suspecting another problem causes the bad starting.
I've now turned my attention to the starter switch, didn't these could break but that seems to be the issue for me at the moment.

patriotemt

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 05:25:17 am »
Well, I've found that it WASN'T entirely the solenoids fault. While I can now hear the starter click, it doesnt turn over. However if I cross the terminals on the solenoid, it starts right up. I'm guessing my next stop will be replacing the starter relay under the seat. For now, I've jury rigged a toggle switch that connects the solenoid terminals and mounted it under the gas tank. It's obviously a temporary fix, and it's not terribly elegant, but it starts.

FT500R

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »
so you've actually just shortcircuited the solenoid poles with a toggle switch?
do you have to press the starter button and flip the switch or is flipping the switch enough to start it?

I seem to have the same problem.
I can imagine however that the toggle switch must be quite heavy duty to sustain the load normally taken by the solenoid?

cheers Paul

jonsophie

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:19:46 pm »
I can't get my starter off it's not the first started I've taken of but the plate on the front does not want to come off any suggestions

jonsophie

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:21:38 pm »
How about the solenoid from another bike like a 750 on something