Author Topic: New Owner  (Read 14107 times)

Dolby67

New Owner
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:04:46 pm »
I got a 1982 Ascot FT500 3 weeks ago.

I paid $1,300 with only 10,000 miles. I thought I paid too much but the bike was clean and the original owner was in his late 80's
and the bike was never dropped

I added:

1. New Tires
2. New Steering bearings
3. New Small Front Signals
4. Painted the side panel and rear fender
5. Detailed the engine
6. New Shift Rubber
7. Removed front fender
8. Removed decals

Things I ordered but have not arrived:
1. Exhaust wrap
2. Reverse Cone Muffler
3. Pod Filter
4. Larger Carb Jets
5. Racing Stickers
6. Rear small Turn signals

Other mods coming soon:
1. Paint front fork black
2. Better Fork Oil

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:11:15 pm by Dolby67 »

ex119x

Re: New Owner
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:54:32 pm »
You should consider putting a front fender back on. It looks naked without it and you'll really want it in the rain or on gravel or when it kicks up a rock.

WTF304

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 11:23:16 pm »
In my opinion. ... i would have left the bike the way you purchased it. Very clean and well kept by the photo, but i understand personalizing and tailoring to what you want to see. That bike was alot cleaner then mine .... and mine was in decent condition for it's age, and I'm the third owner.

Assuming it sat for a while you might want to give the brake system a check and possibly a rebuilding. Seals don't keep and neither does brake fluid, old fluid is not good. Since your looking into fork oil those 30 yr + fork springs might not be up to the task anymore. And at 10 K on that motor might want to peel the clutch cover off and check the balance shaft tensioner. ... if i recall it's around the time for adjustment as well as valve lash.

Better yet, do all the necessary routine maintenance before you go modifying the bike any further..... otherwise we all know what happens to a motor when things aren't kept in working order and then throwing power modifications at it.

thumperdh

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:29:37 am »
I'm with EX119 here. At least keep the front fender or make some sort of replacement.

Also agree with WTF304, check the brakes, fork oil is cheap and makes a noticeable improvement and check that balance shaft tensioner.

Other than that. Welcome.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

Dolby67

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:24:32 pm »
Brakes have been flushed - Motor was tuned up and checked for any problems. Everything si great thus far. Starter was rebuilt

i like the Motor-X look of the bike without the front fenders. i dont drive in the rain.

All parts will be saved and can easily be brought back to its original glory.
The paint even peels away - I used Plasti-Dip - really cool stuff.
The decals can be bought on ebay

Its been a great bike - but I would like to get a nice touring bike as well - as i cant see myself going on long trips on this bike.

thumperdh

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 11:36:28 pm »
Its been a great bike - but I would like to get a nice touring bike as well - as i cant see myself going on long trips on this bike.

Agreed. Don't let anyone on here fool you. The FT Ascot flat out sucks for any kind of distance of highway riding.

Although your bike isn't my style in terms of the route you're going with modifications, i can respect that you're doing everything right and keeping all the stock parts laying around. These bikes seem to bridge the gap between common (as in sold tons of them) and rare (nice way to say crap). So seeing one in good original form is always a treat.

Well... seeing one at all is a treat. They were/are pretty d*** cool.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

Lefty

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 05:46:45 pm »
I like what you did with the side covers, looks great!