Author Topic: exuast syatem  (Read 36804 times)

triguyracer

exuast syatem
« on: December 05, 2014, 05:46:15 pm »
has anyone cut and removed the inner pipe baffle not what sure to call it from the head pipes and used the head pipes with a muffler supertrapp or other,where is the best place on the head pipes to cut and get the inner part out with the least amount of cutting and re welding .

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: exuast syatem
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:11:40 am »
Welcome to the forum. As to your question, I'm sure that someone has probably done that, but I think it would be more work than it's worth. A totally stock bike tends to run better with those skinny down tubes. You can easily replace the whole muffler section with an EMGO reverse megaphone, Super-Trapp, Sport Bike canister muffler, etc.

There is a real nice performance header available for the FT Ascot from ThumperStuff: http://www.thumperstuff.com/FT500.html

If your bike is stock, you should upgrade the carb jetting. The bike runs very lean in stock configuration. Call Mark at ThumperStuff & order the 2 new jets that you need, along with a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket. Changing the jets & the sprocket make the bike much more fun to ride & will lower your engines operating temperature somewhat.

Every new FT Ascot owner should read this link: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=10.0

Good luck & please feel free to ask any questions you may have, or post up some pictures of your bike.

Good luck
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 10:25:42 am »
Here is a post on the ThumperStuff header: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=138.0

The EMGO reverse megaphone is about the cheapest muffler option. You want EMGO model #80-84030B Black. Here are a few on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=emgo+reverse+megaphone+muffler&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X80-84030B&_nkw=80-84030B&_sacat=0
You want the 2-piece design so you can re-pack the silencing material when needed.

A few guys have used a Sport-Bike canister. Sometimes it looks cool, sometimes it looks too big. Then there is the Super-Trapp. Hard to beat that adjustable muffler, if you can afford it.

Good luck
J.

triguyracer

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:20:24 am »
Thanks for the info I will give Thumperstuff a call,at some point in the future I will most likley do some minor mods on the bike in the future.The bikes is in such xclnt stock shape and runs xclnt and looks xclnt only 5500 miles when I got it and a second one about half complete too for a 1000 bucks I think I got a xclnt deal.this is a fun bike I have been riding it more than my Suzuki sv1000 and darn near as fun as my three triumph race bikes

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 03:34:02 pm »
They are excellent bikes! I noticed a bit of a drop in low end response after installing the header on my bike, but it seems to rev faster. Just make sure that you do the jetting like is described in the article. Mark at ThumperStuff has the correct size jets.

J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 09:16:15 am »
Here is a picture that I found on Facebook. From just looking at the picture, this FT has had new suspension & wheels put under it, rear-sets, plus a Sports-Bike canister muffler. I'll bet that it sounds nice, but the muffler looks too large compared to the bike.

J.

triguyracer

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 07:03:47 pm »
Like what he or she did and I agree the muff looks a little big sure it flows enough lol.Think I will cut the spare set of head pipes I have right after they turn down at the head and remove the inner baffle and hang it back on the bike line everything up and weld it back together,have a bunch of offroad friends that have a slew of misc mufflers will see if I can get one that would work good and not be too loud,a friend offered a alloy supertrapp that's a bit banged up if its decent I will give it a try .Trying to keep the cost down right now.going for the easy stuff now like getting rid of weight.Would like to find a nice set of alloy wire wheels for the front and back,tempted to take the barnes wheels off one of my flattrackers,just cant afford another set right now lol.Looking for a set from a sreet bike or off road bike that wont be to hard to adapt or cost big bucks.Any suggestions?   

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:14:59 pm »
The head pipes don't really have a baffle, they are twin-wall tubing for the length of the header pipes.

With a stock bike, I would be more concerned with doing the jetting & countershaft sprocket. Removing the intake snorkel will flow more air. The stock head pipes with an after-market muffler works well on a stock bike.

J.

triguyracer

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 08:54:27 pm »
The things you mentioned I have already planed on will stay with the stock carb for now maybe a round slide in the future,right now I like the stock one and it  works well and I think it will work well for what I want  ,I have got a good handle on jetting as I raced tz250 and 350s for a number of years and was always jetting it depending on conditions so I feal with the recommendations in the posts I have read that it will put me in the ball park where I will be able to fine tune for the mild mods right now I plane to make.Reading thru the posts on the forum have helped me head in the right direction on somethings that would be hit and miss.Lotsa info in the forum to read

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:08 am »
The stock carb is actually a fairly high quality part. It has an accelerator pump that is very helpful for priming the engine prior to a cold start. Every time you rotate the throttle it actuates the accelerator pump & squirts some raw fuel into the carb. The carb was just set too lean from the factory to pass USA emissions requirements. Changing the main & the low-speed jets to #145 & #58 will put you in the ballpark with a fairly stock bike using the air-box. If you replace the air-box with a UNI type of filter & a free flowing exhaust you will have a dead spot in the mid-range of the throttle. That's where I'm at with my hybrid FT Ascot. I need to experiment further.

Here is what I did to one of my FT Ascots: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=79.0

So far, the engine is still stock. I'm running the original twin-wall head-pipes with the EMGO reverse megaphone. Throttle response is very crisp except for my lean spot that I need to resolve. I'm thinking of just trying the next larger main jet.

Back to the stock carb. Some guys have replaced it with a 34mm or 36mm Mikuni & report excellent response. If you ever go this route, you need a special throttle cable with a 90 degree fitting on the end that connects to the top of the carb. This will help the cable clear the frame. White Brothers used to offer a 38mm carb kit, but I think that's too big for a standard bore & camshaft engine. There are several big bore kits out there for the XR/XL 500 family that will also work in the FT. Performance camshaft grinds are available, along with the option of having your camshaft fit for needle bearings.

How much do you want to spend? LOL!

If your FT Ascot is a real clean bike, you should consider leaving it as original as possible.

Good luck
J.

triguyracer

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 06:49:28 pm »
Yes the bike is very very clean and all original only thing I have changed so far are I put a round headlight on it, the rectangular one just did not look good to me,shortened the turn signal stalks and bolted the gauges on from the underside of the triple clamp to lower it about a half inch also replaced the steering head bearings with the timkin kit from all balls,I like the carb even though I have not worked on one like it but dang near every other type I have worked on round slide flat slides lectron flatside with power jet ect but none like the ft one.I will rejet to the specs you recommended,you might be able to put a small shim under the needle say maybe ten thousands this should help the mid range I have done this on diafram type carbs a lot and you can dial in the midrange jetting.I have a good spare carb that came with parts bike that was part of the deal when I bought it so I am going to take it apart and check out the innards lol rebuild it and jet it and then swap it with the one on there now.I will use a sixteen tooth sprocket like you recommended, took it for about a 40 mile ride today and and it could use it.Also popped for the stock Honda service manual I found on ebay dang payed through the nose for it 95 bucks but I know from working for many dealers and shops the factory manual is so much better than any others by a long way not even a comparison for the most part.Maybe the spare parts bike I got in the deal I will turn into a full blown street tracker,already have a spare set of progressive shocks that are the right length just need a set of springs,my vintage dirttracker got the springs when I changed the shock length on it,also will do the front springs the stock ones are pretty sorry lol stainless brake lines too.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 07:14:40 am »
Sounds like you are on the right track. A lot of folks don't like that rectangular headlight. It never really bothered me. The gauges sticking up in the air is not attractive though. They do need to be lowered. The stock turn signals stick out too far, especially the right rear one. I kick it every once in a while when swinging a leg over.

I had thought about trying to shim the needle. Haven't found a suitable washer yet. If I recall correctly, my engine breaks up around 3800 to 4200RPM.

Sounds like you found the premium Honda manual. It is something you need, so you have to pay when you find one. I believe that I found mine for about $50 or so.

Here is a link to Randakk's Honda FT Ascot carb rebuild kits: http://randakks.com/products/ft500-ascot-randakk-master-carb-overhaul-kit   This is a complete premium carb rebuild kit with the option of a rebuild & carb modification manual. I've never used one of these kits, but they are supposed to be the best.

Please post up some pics of your bike(s) when you get a chance. We like pictures!
If by chance you are not familiar with the picture posting process, there is an explanation in the "Testing" section at the bottom of the forum.

Good luck
J.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:23:56 am by J6G1Z »

triguyracer

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:38:59 pm »
Old junk electronics, radios other small electrick componets will have very small washers under there connections that you can use.Sometimes you will have to go through some till you find one that will work.I haven't taken the spare carb I have apart to see how well a washer might fit in this type carb.Electronic stores are a good place to look for very tiny washers also hobby stores

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 07:48:49 am »
Thanks, I'll check that out. So far, I've just checked my local hardware store & my personal collection.

J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 07:19:33 pm »
Read here about shimming the needle. The mid-range issue is due to the main jet, and the needle has little, if any effect. ;)
http://ascot500.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=fin59sk0mgvg8v1e0o61uojbe2&topic=269.0

WTF304

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 03:13:33 pm »
Can anyone tell me brand/part # mufflers could or will possibly fit the stock head pipes? Thnks in advance

triguyracer

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 03:03:55 pm »
Have not been on the forum for awhile.Found a White Brothers pipe on one of the flattrack sites I use and bought it for a 100.00 and 38 to ship so I think I got a good deal seeing what they go for in all the other places that I have looked.Would like to get a comment on what a good base line jetting to start with, with anyone who has jetted one.Removed the stock air box and put on a foam uni filter and changed my low speed jet already.put that 16 sprocket on makes a huge diff in how usable the bike is.

wrk2ride_ride2wrk

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 05:36:29 pm »
For what its worth; I  first went up to #55 then #58, had no advantage ( thinking I need to change the needle here to get any real benifit ) in the 58 so dropped back to 55.
main# 145

triguyracer

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 07:13:30 pm »
Did some jetting today after putting on the White Brothers pipe I bought. The jetting I used today was a 180 main and I shimmed the needle .025 or in metric .635mm.Make sure if you shim the needle to have the outside od of the the washer no bigger than the top od of the shim that is on the needle or it will not drop down past what looks to be a ridge where it goes in the slide,if you don't it will be way rich.This jetting worked great so far with just a warm up and quick blast around a few blocks,no flat spots all the way thru the rev range will take for a longer ride Monday and see if I can get a good plug chop.did this on the pipe without the disks and end cap that are missing so pretty much a open pipe.if any one has a end cap for a White Brothers pipe they would like to sell I want it lol. To loud with out it

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 07:38:52 am »
You might try contacting Super-Trapp for disks & an end cap.

J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 10:52:04 pm »
I have a Super-trap end cap and disks that came from a White Bros XR500. The end cap is not in the best condition from a cosmetic point of view, if I recall correctly. Where are you?

triguyracer

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 11:36:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply I live in Los Banos CA in central cal,would be willing to give a fair price for it, not to worried about looks or some dings.My email is outpost97@aol.com or call  831 540 5996.Send a email with your number and I will call you or call me whatever is the easy for you Thanks Al

Chronic

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 05:32:49 am »
I must give a good advice regarding this matter, i fitted a Honda CRF450 muffler on to my bike, by cutting the stock pipe on the muffler, and just slide it on, using the stock clamp the seal it. Even the bracket fits to hang the muffler.

I´ll guess theese mufflers ain´t that expencive in the states? It´s a very easy fit for a not lot of Money anyway.

triguyracer

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 11:17:29 am »
Thanks for the info I will keep my eye out for one.From what year crf if you know was the one you used?

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 07:49:00 pm »
Hey Al, I used to go to Dos Palos for work, so I know where Los Banos is. Here are some pics of what I have. These parts are evidently what Supertrapp refers to as 4", even though the outside diameter of the cap is actually 3 3/4". The mounting holes are on a 3 1/4" bolt circle, so make sure they will fit your muffler.
Scott.