Author Topic: Anyone ever replace the clutch in their FT Ascot?  (Read 13533 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Anyone ever replace the clutch in their FT Ascot?
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:24:40 pm »
My FT/CBR hybrid bike has a slipping clutch on the top end.

How difficult of a project is this?  Any special tools required?

Thanks
J.

Lefty

Re: Anyone ever replace the clutch in their FT Ascot?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:11:36 pm »
I'm surprised to hear this coming from you,J6- you seem to have quite a bit of ascot knowledge!
I've replace a couple wet clutches in the past without a manual on most. Can you be more specific with your concern?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:42:30 am »
Well... I know a bit about Ascots, but I've never been inside an Ascot engine. I've done a few top ends on 2-strokes, but I've never been inside the cases.

I have a Honda service manual & I imagine it's probably not too tough of a job. Just wondering if there are any specialty tools that are either required or are helpful. Are there any heavy duty clutches or clutch springs available. Any other clutch tricks or modifications that should be done? That type of stuff, etc.

The FT/CBR hybrid bike feels like the clutch is slipping on the top end. I can feel the engine rev, but that extra power isn't making it to the rear wheel.

Thanks
J.

Lefty

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »
The first clutch I ever did was on a DR350- I procrastinated for 3-4 months until I finally did it, anit was pretty easy. Once you get the case cover off, you'll see the basket, there's usually 6 bolts(nuts? )  holding the cover on. Use a penny to lock the gears from moving if the bolts are reallly tight, you wedge it between the back gear on the basket and it's drive gear.
Once you get the cover off, you'll see the plates & steels. Slide them all out & replace with the new units, in the same sequence, plate, steel, plate, steel. Oh, also
It's a good idea to soak the plates in some oil before you put them in.
A case cover gasket's good to have too, in case the old one tears or breaks.
 Good luck, Lefty.

Zedicus

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:48:22 am »
lefty is on the ball.  also most wet clutches (not all but definitely most) have a center nut that is huge (like 32-34mm)  if you do not have a socket that size you might be making a trip to the store.   also if you have a small impact it makes the clutch disassembly   10x easier.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 10:36:50 am »
No impact, but I do have a nice breaker bar. Looks like I might need to buy a new socket to fit that nut.

Thanks, please keep the tips coming if anyone can think of anything else that I should prepare for.

J.

Zedicus

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 02:31:45 pm »
breaker bar will not do you any good, you will roll the penny through the gears before they break loose.   it really only matter if any of the bolts or the center nut is stuck.   if you have a welder you can weld a chunk of bar stock to one of the old discs and make a clutch holder tool.

if your going to be doing mutch of this type of stuff head to home depot and find an electric impact on clearance.  ive been a garage mechanic for most of my life and i can't believe i didnt do that sooner.  1/2 inch preferable but whatever your $ will get you is better then nothing.

Slyphon

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 03:35:55 am »
Did you ever end up getting in to the clutch? I have to swap crank cases due to damage to my bottom casing, and am looking for some info. The whole job is a little daunting...

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 09:51:08 am »
No, I haven't made any progress on this yet. Probably won't until later on this winter.

Do you have a Honda Ascot service manual yet? That will be needed.

J.

Luke

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 05:10:50 pm »
x2 on the impact ... makes life so much easier all around.
1984 VT500FT - WIP