Author Topic: FT500 Cafe Racer Project  (Read 24833 times)

Slyphon

FT500 Cafe Racer Project
« on: August 16, 2014, 04:16:39 pm »
I plan to use this thread to track the progress of my FT500 Project. I will provide updates, with photos of where the project started shortly.

I wasn't planning on doing the CBR600 Front End / Rear Wheel swap. But, I found a sweet deal on craigslist and was able to pickup this parts bike for $200. The wheels, front shocks, and brakes all seem to function, now time to tear down and sell off the unnecessary parts!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: FT500 Cafe Racer Project
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:06:46 pm »
That looks like a good score! Make sure you check the brake disk thickness. I had to replace mine.

You will like the way an FT Ascot handles with the CBR parts underneath. I just returned from a short shake down cruise that I really enjoyed.

Good luck with your project & please post plenty of pics. I always like a good build post.

J.

Slyphon

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:24:27 pm »
Do you have the thickness specifications handy? I tried doing a quick search but maybe I'm not searching the right terms.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 07:55:36 pm »
The minimum spec should be stamped on each disk.

I can't recall what they are at the moment. If your disks don't have the spec on them, let me know & I will go look at mine.

J.

Slyphon

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 12:54:01 am »
Thanks for the info! I didn't know it was there. I checked, Front ones are fine but the Rear one definitely needs to be replaced. It was 1mm smaller than Min. You could actually see cracks and warping on close visual inspection...

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:29:47 am »
That's how mine were. The fronts were a couple mm above the minimum spec, but the rear was way below the minimum spec. I went ahead & found 3 replacements on eBay that were flat & had more meat on them. New ones, if you can find them, are expensive. Be glad that you only need the one. Do you have a Harbor Freight store nearby? I picked up one of these thickness gauges to check brake disks: http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-thickness-gauge-66319.html
This type of gauge can extend past the ridge that builds up around the perimeter of the brake disk & provide an accurate measurement of the worn area.

Good luck
J.

Slyphon

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 12:43:35 pm »
Oh, nice. I'll pick one of those thickness gauges up at some point. I was able to get a fairly accurate measurement using creative methods.

Question, what size is your rear wheel? The rear wheel on my CBR is 140 I believe, and looks like it might be too wide to fit in the FT500. It looked like my FT500 already had some rubbing on the chain guard from the tire that is in there now... I plan to replace the tires anyways as they are a few years old, but was hoping to atleast get the bike up and running before having to go through that venture.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 01:36:28 pm »
When I first mocked up the bike, the CBR rear wheel had a Harley Davidson 160 series tire on it. :o

That tire would not fit without cocking the axle crooked a bit, then I could roll it around. If I recall correctly the tire hit the right front portion of the swingarm. I've heard that a 150 will fit, but I have my doubts. I'm running what was the stock tire for the CBR, which is a 130 series tire. I'm willing to bet that most guys that owned CBR's went up one size when they replaced the rear tire. Most likely why you have a 140. I like to run a narrow tire whenever I can. I think most bikes turn better that way.

To answer your question... I think the 140 will probably slide in there.

J.

Lefty

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:15:37 pm »
Any updates, Slyphon?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 06:50:58 pm »
Any updates, Slyphon? 

Yes, perspiring minds want to know.

It is beginning to become dark & gloomy in my neck of the woods. These types of build threads can be motivational. LOL!

J.

Lefty

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 07:30:52 pm »
To tell the truth, I missed this thread some how and just read through it today-I am looking forward to your hybrid project as it moves along. Photo tease, please!

johnnymot1

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 10:49:51 pm »
I'm jealous. I've been wanting one of those $200 CBR donors for a long time, and so has the lonely FT500 frame starring  at it's own engine sitting beside it, like a severed head waiting to be re-attached, fearing that I may act on the impulse to powder coat it red.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 08:56:07 am »
The CBR600 Hurricane swap is worth waiting for. Unfortunately donor bikes are probably drying up & being parted out by recyclers. Have you tried running a Wanted Ad on Craigslist?

Here's a mostly red FT.

I don't have any details on it, but it's a good looking bike & I'm not usually a big fan of red.

J.

Slyphon

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 04:23:32 pm »
Sorry for the lack of updates. I work on the bike all the time, but am not very quick to record my progress and provide updates on the project as a whole. I've been working on painting the frame, swingarm, forks, and misc parts for the past couple months. It's been a process as I've been sanding between coats trying to get the paint to comeout perfect. The Forks are giving me the biggest issue. Should be applying the last coat of paint this weekend (weather permitting) and then reassembly next week. Here's a teaser from the painting I was working on previously. I'm using an Matte Black from Eastwood. I love the quality of their paints, but it's a pain in the ass to get more product if you run out or forget something. They take over a week to ship to you. If I were to do it again I would pick a brand that can be picked up at a local shop.

Slyphon

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 04:26:54 pm »
You can see I'm putting the CBR600 frame to use in the background, holding parts while I paint... Haha. Can't get rid of that damn thing.

Slyphon

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 05:54:47 pm »
Amazon must've just had a momentary price mistake... Logged on and they had the Wiseco 89.00 Piston Kit for $75... Needless to say I ordered that pronto. It's gone now, but for anybody looking it might be worth putting it in your cart just to track it.

Luke

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 07:40:41 pm »
Lookin' good!

Ahhh sanding ain't it fun! It's nice to know someone else is going through the same thing. ;)
1984 VT500FT - WIP

Lefty

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 08:47:23 am »
That's going to look killer, Thanks for the pic!

Lefty

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 07:07:09 pm »
Any updates, Slyphon?

Slyphon

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 12:00:45 pm »
Took a winter break. Just picking it up again. Goal is to get it reassembled and ready to ride before summer.