Author Topic: NOS MAC Dual Exhaust Available For The VT500FT Ascot  (Read 35855 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
NOS MAC Dual Exhaust Available For The VT500FT Ascot
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:18:42 pm »
http://jerryscyclesvintageparts.com/Honda-VT500-Ascot-Staggered-Duals--P266728.aspx

Description 
New Mac exhaust for Honda Ascot VT500 v-twin  Staggered Duals, 83-84. Chrome magaphones. This exhaust is discontinued NOS. No guarantees or returns. Also no instructions, you will have to figure out mounting yourself. 

Center Stand retention & access to all service points. High luster chrome on header & mufflers. Removable all steel baffles. No jetting required with baffles in place. Just slightly louder than stock but lighter with more performance

I had a set of MAC pipes on my Ascot back in the day. There is a huge weight savings as compared to the OEM exhaust. I do recall the need for removing the centerstand though.

If you are considering purchasing a set of these pipes from this seller, you should not hesitate. It sounds like there are only about 4 or 5 sets left.

J.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:36:31 pm by J6G1Z »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: NOS MAC Dual Exhaust Available For The VT500FT Ascot
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:14:44 pm »
Well... I went ahead & ordered a set of these pipes & they arrived yesterday. The box is definitely a clue that these are NOS (New Old Stock) Parts. Dusty old cardboard with a few stains & creases here & there. Fortunately the seller packs the boxes nicely with plenty of bagged popcorn. I took a few pics & will show them here before I go on with the story...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:29:05 pm by J6G1Z »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:26:10 pm »
Well... Everything looked great until I took the long pipe for the front cylinder out of the box. I unwrapped it & was checking it out when I found a ding not quite as large as a dime right in the middle of the muffler section. There is no way to mount the pipe & not see this wart. :(

Now I'm bummed out. I called the seller & explained what I found & was surprised to learn that he was going to send another pipe out right away. He stepped right up & offered to take care of the problem just like the good ole days. Now I'm happy & can't wait to see the new pipe. Both pipes looked excellent & have a better quality finish than my original black coated MAC pipes that I had years ago. If it wasn't for that little ding... Oh well, stuff happens. I'll let you all know when the new pipe arrives & how it all shakes out.

Thanks
J.

huskyfrk

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:35:10 am »
it's  a  shame he  doesn't  have  any pipes  for a  FT.   even if  he had  just one,   you could send it out  to  a  tubing  bender  and have  some  new  stuff  built  up.  i  never  heard  of  a  MAC,  but  doesn't  mean it wasn't  popular  somewhere.  Was  it a  east  coast  MFG  ???

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:44:40 am »
it's  a  shame he  doesn't  have  any pipes  for a  FT.   even if  he had  just one,   you could send it out  to  a  tubing  bender  and have  some  new  stuff  built  up.  i  never  heard  of  a  MAC,  but  doesn't  mean it wasn't  popular  somewhere.  Was  it a  east  coast  MFG  ???

M.A.C. Inc. is/was out of Long Beach, Ca. They have branched off into the automotive world & build headers now I think. They have always been somewhat of a mid range product. The VT500FT only had 2 or 3 options for an aftermarket exhaust during its day. The MAC system, a Kerker slip on and I think there may have been a Cobra slip on muffler also. The Kerker & Cobra slip ons did not eliminate the catalyst chamber or as Honda called it, the "Power Chamber". Only the MAC pipes were a complete exhaust system.

As far as an exhaust for the FT500 try Thumper Stuff. They have a copy of the old White Bro's head pipes. You need to add your own muffler. Thumper Stuff contact info is listed on the FT500 board.

J.

Bucko

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 04:09:04 pm »
Are these the same pipes?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:53:21 pm »
Are these the same pipes? 

Yep, those are the ones.

J.

Bucko

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 01:04:51 pm »
Too bad they're not available in a gloss black which IMHO would look better given everything else being blacked out.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 01:46:37 pm »
Too bad they're not available in a gloss black which IMHO would look better given everything else being blacked out.

They were, back in the day. You had a choice of chrome or a black ceramic type of coating. I bought a pair of the black ones back in 1988, I believe. The baffle ends were coated in a bright red & looked hideous. I sand blasted the ends & painted them black to look much better. I'm guessing that the black exhaust systems out sold the chrome ones & that's why the chrome ones are all that's left over. You can always have them ceramic coated in black.

J.

Bucko

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 07:21:14 pm »
Yes, thought of that, but my experience is that the ceramic finish doesn't really hold up; it will last for a couple of seasons if it doesn't get wet but if riding in the rain, prepare to re-finish.

Hughlysses

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 04:59:59 pm »
My Ascot had the black chrome Mac pipes on it when I got it.

You can retain the centerstand IF you cut off the extra widget that sticks off of the stand on the right side.  I'm not quite sure what the purpose of that piece is, but it works fine without it.  My bike came without a centerstand, but I found one on ebay, modified it, installed it, and it worked fine.

I really didn't like the tone of the Mac pipes on my bike.  They were very loud and raspy and backfired a lot.  The pipes do have interchangeable muffler cores.  My pipes came with "street" baffles which are actually baffles, like in a standard car muffler.  One guy told me that the "race" baffle Mac sells (used to sell?) is actually quieter and mellower sounding.  It's a perforated core wrapped with fiberglass.  If I could have found a set of those I'd have bought them.

The main thing I didn't like was loss of cornering clearance.  The front pipe hangs considerably lower and a little further out than the stock pipe.  I found that it was really easy to drag in hard right hand turns. 

After I'd had my bike about a year I bought a stock exhaust cheap on ebay and installed it.  I've been happy with the stocker and I'm glad I made the change.  I even bought what was apparently the last NOS front header pipe that Honda had in stock in the U.S., so I have a nice, non-rusty front pipe.  A friend of mine tried to order one only a month later and was told they were no longer available.

I sold my Mac pipes to an Ascot owner in Canada, along with my modified centerstand.  (I found another stock centerstand so I've still got one on my bike.)

YMMV.

Hugh

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 05:13:02 pm »
Wow! You managed to drag the front of the downpipe in a right hand turn! :o

I dragged both foot pegs on my VT pretty hard & never hit the MAC exhaust, you must have really had her keeled over. I tend to turn left more aggresively than to the right though. That's good to know & to watch out for. You're right about the exhaust tone... It is a raspy note. You either like it or hate it. A perforated core with a fiberglass type of wadding wrapped around it would sound much nicer. Back in the day, the MAC exhaust system was the only game in town, other than the Kerker or Cobra F1 slip ons. I think I like them because they look somewhat like XR750 pipes.

Thanks
J.

Hughlysses

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 05:49:54 am »
John- I wonder if there weren't significant manufacturing variances in the Mac pipes.  I remember when mine were bolted up, the two horizontal sections weren't quite parallel, so maybe that had something to do with it.  I wasn't leaning over THAT far.

They do look good.  It would be a pretty simple fabrication job to make "glass pack" muffler cores for it.  Just one screw at the back of each pipe holds the baffles in.  Remove the stock baffle and cut the center section out; weld a 1-1/2" diameter perforated tube of the right length in.  Wrap that with fiberglass packing, and slide the modified core back into place.   I think I've seen the perforated tubing in a catalog; worst case you might just have to buy a section of 1-1/2" exhaust pipe and drill a bunch of holes in it.

If you've got decent fabrication skills, it wouldn't be that hard of a job.

Hugh

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 08:56:10 am »
You're probably correct in the manufacturer variances. The MAC products have always been a middle of the road product quality wise. I've heard that they moved into the automotive after-market, producing headers & exhaust systems for the 5.0 Mustang.

EDIT: Looks like they still do some motorcycle pipes. Here is their web-site: http://shop.macperformance.com/

J.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:09:43 am by J6G1Z »

Hughlysses

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 10:12:21 am »
... and they do make replacement inserts.  Look on page 42 (?) of the motorcycle catalog:

This isn't the best picture, but I think you can see enough.  The baffle on the left is what came standard in my Mac pipes; I think the baffle on the right (with fiberglass or stainless steel wool packing added) would sound much better.

Hugh

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 10:35:04 am »
Hmm... I may have to look into that.

I noticed that on page #15 they are still advertising a "Black Chrome" exhaust system for the VT500FT Ascot. As far as I knew they were no longer available. I may have to call them to find out what the story is.

Here is the part number from page #15: 801-2527 VT 500 Ascot 83-84 (2 Into 2)

Thanks
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 12:56:38 pm »
I just called MAC & they still produce the VT500FT exhaust system. :o

The price is $299.50 & is available in a "Black Chrome" finish.

They can be reached at: 951-296-3077 Monday-Friday 7am-4PM PST

So... There you have it. Another exhaust option.

Good luck
J.

Bucko

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 01:34:14 pm »
Hmm... I may have to look into that.

I noticed that on page #15 they are still advertising a "Black Chrome" exhaust system for the VT500FT Ascot. As far as I knew they were no longer available. I may have to call them to find out what the story is.

Here is the part number from page #15: 801-2527 VT 500 Ascot 83-84 (2 Into 2)

Thanks
J.

It says "Dura Black Coated Chrome Muffler"

What's 'Dura Black Coated'?  Are they saying that's black chrome?  Why not just state 'black Chrome'.  I'd like to see some pictures.

Bucko

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 01:38:37 pm »
Did a search for  801-2527 and found this:

Honda VT500 ASCOT 83-84 Black/Chrome 2-2 - 801-2527

note the 'Black / Chrome', not 'Black Chrome'.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 07:17:06 pm »
Looks like I wasn't accurate in reporting that they are still making the old exhaust system. That's the system that Niche Cycle Supply has on sale with free shipping. Mention this site & they have offered a discount. It looks like it may be an improved system, but I'm not a fan of the two-tone black & chrome finish.

Hmmm...
J.

Bucko

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 06:57:10 pm »
... but I'm not a fan of the two-tone black & chrome finish.

Have to agree with you on that.  Chrome doesn't look right - at least with the stock colour schemes/fitment.