Author Topic: ARRRGGH!!!!  (Read 11528 times)

Lefty

ARRRGGH!!!!
« on: May 20, 2014, 04:22:36 pm »
I have been procrastinating long enough and finally yesterday did the balancer shaft adjustment.
Once I got the cover off, the bearing from the center of the clutch fell into the cover. No big deal, I put a dab of grease on it before I put the cover back on.
 It worked! My FT no longer makes that irritating "whirring" sound.
I took the bike out for a spin, out on the expressway to see what 60+ feels like with the new 16 tooth sprocket. Got it up to 70 and it felt pretty good, I went down one exit & got off. While heading back toward my place on a side road I start hearing this clacking noise from the right side. I limped it in the highest gear possible back home & took the cover off a second time. The clutch pushrod fell out & was rattling around the bottom of the basket. "What the," I can not believe what I'm seeing. If the rod fell out, how was my clutch still working? Very strange, right? So I gave it a dab of grease also, just to hold it in place while I re-installed the right case cover. Filled it up with oil, & started it up. Grabbed my helmet & took it up my street, to see what's what. Holy crap, it's making a noise again, not AS bad as yesterday, but still cause for alarm.
 As of now, I am letting the oil drain out while it's on it's side stand, to get as much oil out of my way once I take the cover off for the 3rd time. Again,the clutch lever felt good, good pull and it shifted fine , well I never got out of 2nd- I have no idea HOW it can shift(and yes, I'm aware of "clutchless" shifting, which I am not a fan of) with that pushrod out of place(if that's what it is this time)?
  It's 75 here in Maryland, and I WANNA RIDE!!! I'll be back with a report......

Lefty

Re: ARRRGGH!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:26:31 pm »
Swell Hell. I got it apart & the clutch push rod was in place. I called a friend for some insight, & he suggested that maybe I moved the adjuster too far(which I did)so I re-adjusted the balancer & put it all back together. It's making the same noise, it almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but when I cover the pipe & gas it,the noise isn't coming from a leak. I'm going to go to the Yahoo site & see what I come up with.

Lefty

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:46:19 pm »
Still locked out of Yahoo, which means I can't get to Geo's site.
The manual says to loosen the hold bolt until the adjuster snaps to the right, then move the adjuster to the left one index mark. The first time I did it, I went 2 marks by accident. I now have it correctly adjusted according to the manual.
It's still making a weird noise. Nobody has any advice?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:55 am »
Sounds like you may be having an issue that no one else has run in to yet.

Hang in there... I'm sure you will figure it out. Please let us know what you finally find out.

Good luck
J.

Lefty

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:30 am »
Thanks J6, I'll let yoou know what I find.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 11:09:46 am »
I just checked the Yahoo Group & it's operating.

J.

Lefty

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 06:03:48 pm »
I finally got through to Yahoo today & they're going to get back to me within 48hrs. 

Lefty

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:44:45 pm »
So I missed it the first time, but some how the adjuster for the balancer snapped in 1/2. I have since replaced it with one from Ebay. I took it out  just now and it sounds great!
 I also finally got my header & jets from Mark. I thinking I am going to utilize the mount from the OE muffler & welt it to the SuperTrapp.