Author Topic: Dutch FT project  (Read 160274 times)

FT500R

Re: Dutch FT project
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2020, 03:05:46 pm »
That's strange, I think you might be right and as far as I can remember now I also ordered that XR one.
I do remember it not being in the FT parts list and looking exactly like this XR one.
Because I couldn't really remember anymore I looked up the invoice.
On my invoice it says 12316-473-000 as part number though...

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2020, 11:35:47 am »
I recall a few posts on converting to a kick-starter. They then had a problem with the kicker & foot-peg interference. I don't recall ever reading about or seeing a solution.

FT500R

« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2020, 05:12:00 am »
@J6G1Z.
I recall that too.
I've seen some bodged up fixes but nothing very fancy.

I have been offered some of the parts needed for the kickstart conversion for a very reasonable price so I am really thinking about doing that.
The specific FT500 starter gears that broke are just completely unobtainable or people ask top money.
If I am going to do the conversion I will do a detailed write-up in the tech section including the search for a decent looking and fitting kickstarter.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2020, 10:03:08 am »
Please do. It would be nice to have a functioning kicker as a back-up. Good luck.

hellblom

« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2020, 01:32:10 pm »
Yes, please do!

hellblom

« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2020, 01:07:56 pm »
I got the tank on, next up is changing the seat and putting a hoop in the back. Going bratstyle.

FT500R

« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2020, 03:48:49 pm »
@Hellblom.
Looking good, really needs a smaller seat now ;)

I've bitten the bullit and I will do the kickstart conversion.
Ripped the engine out this morning and did a check if indeed there is a hole for the kickstart (better safe then sorry).

The engine is now upside down on a little workbench because I will be splitting the block by taking the bottom half of instead of the full head, cilinder, and then splitting from the top as per the manual.
I will keep making foto's of the process so let me know if there is a need/want for a write-up of how to split the engine upside down too ;)

Officially ordered my XL parts now, so what I have coming my way:
- Kickstart axle with all springs etc
- XL clutch cover, you can take the plug in the kickstart hole out of your FT cover but you would still miss the hole for the automatic decompression, as I want to have this system I just got the correct side cover and lever.
- XL cilinder head cover with decompression handle and spring. You could have your FT head cover machined or... just buy the piece
- XL decompression cable
- XL stator cover. I am going to see if I can fit the FT stator in this to really clean up the engine and loose the whole e-start part.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2020, 05:01:41 pm »
I've owned a Honda XR400 (Bored to 440) & an XR600. They are not that hard to kick start once you learn how. Cycle the kicker slowly to bring the piston up on the compression stroke. I used the separate compression release lever to bump the piston just past TDC on the compression stroke. Allow the kicker to return to the top & then boot it. That is the only time I ever used the compression release.

FT500R

« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2020, 10:35:39 am »
I managed to split the engine today!
Write up on how to split it without removing the top-end is in the tech section.
It was not that hard at all.
One downside was that one of the axial set rings for the main bearing of the crankshaft broke... one small part ended up falling down the camchain tunnel towards the head. Ill get that bastard later.

I also added a picture from before splitting the engine, if you look through the hole where the sump normally is you can perfectly see the hole where the kickstart axle will come trough, you can also see the hole where the return spring retainer will protrude. I think it might actually be possible to fit a kickstart axle to a FT without splitting the cases.
You would have to take the clutch of though as you need the room to access the bolt hole for the return spring retainer.
To me knowing how easy this was, it almost seems like taking the clutch of is more effort than just splitting the cases :D

hellblom

« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2020, 01:11:22 am »
Many many thanks that you are sharing your efforts with us. I will probably do this work in a couple of years and your pictures and thoughts will help.

For me it is time to change the seat this week, working from home has it's advantages.

hellblom

« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2020, 01:12:30 pm »
About how much did the parts cost for the kickstart? And what parts did you order?

FT500R

« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2020, 01:50:29 pm »
I got everything second hand.
The kickstart axle with all springs, the cilinderheadcover with decompression lever, the right engine case with automatic decompression lever, decompression cable and left engine cover was a total of 125 euros. Think I did get a pretty solid deal on it.
I still have to buy a new stator and some small bits so it will cost me quite a bit in the end.

FT500R

« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2020, 05:22:23 am »
Good news, I managed to get a second hand stator for a reasonable price so eventually she will run again!
On the down side, DHL has lost my package containing the kickstart axle, both side covers and the cilinder head cover....

Other packages should be arriving today so I will have some stuff to do this weekend but I do hope they will find my big package as these parts where hard to find.

FT500R

« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2020, 11:24:42 am »
Got delivery of my first parts today.
I got:
- All the engine seals for the kickstart construction and the big seal that goes over the drive shaft. This will leak eventually so I figured it's better to change it now I have the engine open anyway (plus the whole set was a good deal).
- A new (to me) stator, I do need to fix the neutral wire and I hope it will work, it had been lying on a shelf of the guy I bought it from for quite some time.
- Decompression lever and spring for a XL-R so I can fit a manual decompression lever next to the automatic one.
- Set ring for the crankshaft bearing.
- Oilfilters as I really want to replace the one that is in there because it might be filled with metal shavings of the broken teeth (although it is only 50 kilometers old)

The big box from DHL is still missing though..

hellblom

« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2020, 12:54:46 pm »
Nice!

FT500R

« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2020, 02:47:55 am »
Changed the output shaft seal yesterday.
Description can be found in the splitting the engine cases topic in the tech section.
Also repaired the neutral wire for my new stator so everything is ready to go, just waiting for DHL to find the rest of my parts.

FT500R

« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2020, 03:27:02 am »
DHL officially lost the package with the kickstart axle, both side covers and the cilinder head cover.
Very unfortunate as they will only refund 3,40 euro per kg which ofcourse is nothing compared to the value.
The seller officially is responsible but as this was a private person and not a webshop getting my money back or replacement parts is going to take a while if I will get it at all.
Really bums me out, had a lot of time to work on the bike these days and was really looking forward to it.
Project is not halted though, I'm going to get my head cover machined to accept the decompression lever and remove the plug in the clutch cover for the kickstart axle. I still have to source a new kickstart axle and will not have the automatic decompression for now though.
Will keep you posted on progress.

FT500R

« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2020, 08:33:29 am »
Got the shaft with all the bits needed and installed everything into the bottom casing.
Thankfully I have an expert mechanic (meCatnic) who checked if I fitted everything correctly.

FT500R

« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2020, 08:30:07 am »
Was able to close the engine today. It is quite fiddly but eventually I got it done.
I also took the cylinder head cover off to have it machined for the decompression release and I found the little piece of the setting ring that went missing some time ago!
Removed the spark plug to make sure there was no compression and gently checked if the kickstart worked.
Conclusion; Succes!

Unfortunately the wrecker where I bought my clutch cover send me the wrong one (XL500S with the smaller kickstart hole). Next to that I discovered that I can never make a XL500R stator cover work. There is simply no room in the cover to mount the FT500 stator.

FT500R

« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2020, 02:43:32 am »
Made some blocking plates to get rid of the pinion gear and the starter motor.

Also applied some paint stripper to the covers to get them completely clean.
At first my covers started to look like the painting starry night by Van Gogh but eventually the silver paint stripped of completely.
The black original Honda paint won't come off though.
I'm now looking for a paint that looks a lot like blank cast aluminium. Might go for VHT engine enamel although that looks to be a bit too shiny. Any thoughts on what product works best and looks most like aluminium?

regards,
Paul

FT500R

« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2020, 02:45:44 am »
I was also able to pick up some parts for next to nothing so I couldn't resist...
CBR Hurricane wheels, forks, brakes etc. Everything you need for the conversion.
I am now looking to get me another FT to put them in....
If I find one I'll open up a new project page :D

FT500R

« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2020, 05:43:16 am »
Spray painted the side covers in heat resistant paint today.
Had to harden the paint by putting the covers in the oven but damn they look nice now.
This paint (Maston) has a matt finish instead of the regular more gloss finish. I like it a lot, really looks like blasted Aluminium. It even has a bit of texture to it.

Still have to get my cylinder head cover machined but when that is done I can start reassembling again!

hellblom

« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2020, 11:05:41 am »
Wow, extremely nice!

FT500R

« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2020, 02:38:13 am »
I've been quite busy.
I had the cylinder head cover machined to accept the decompression lever. Was pretty expensive but it was very nicely done.
I also spray painted the cover with the same paint I used for the clutch and stator cover, really happy with the result.

Haven't fully torqued the cover down yet as I am thinking about replacing the inlet rocker (this has some wear marks).

I also mounted the new second hand stator and cleaned up the previously damaged flywheel.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:45:33 am by kansloos161 »

FT500R

« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2020, 02:39:51 am »
After that I put the engine back in the frame to check for clearence with the kickstart pedal.
Always nice to see the bike assembled again.