Author Topic: My FT  (Read 11735 times)

Lefty

My FT
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:49:35 pm »
Hope this works, picked this up for 500$ 2 years back, needed both calipers & masters rebuilt, tires & seat cover. How it looks right now.....

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: My FT
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:08:47 am »
Looks like a hell of a bike for $500! 8)

What are your plans for it?

J.

Lefty

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:29:31 pm »
I'm not 100% on anything yet. I am definitely doing a full exhaust, rejet/bigger carb, air filter mod. This is my first all street bike- I've ridden dual purpose bikes my whole life, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I don't get online as much as I'd like, but I'll keep posting back as the FT progresses..........

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 11:27:44 am »
Well from the picture it looks like your tank & body-work are in good to excellent condition & the color is still strong. I would do everything that you can to maintain the OEM body-work & paint. When I brought mine home (It's also black) it had been exposed to some weather & the top of the tank was cloudy looking. I spent some time with a T-Shirt & some McGuires "Fine Cut" polishing compound to gently remove the cloudy/faded material. It looks nice now. These Ascots may not be overly expensive, but they could be considered rare or potential collectors items. There should be some consideration on whether you want to keep it as close to original, or easily returned to original.

I found two FT Ascots that weren't very expensive. One was all stock & fairly clean, low mile bike. I'm keeping that one as close to stock as possible. The jetting, air-filter & manual petcock modifications were already performed on the bike by a P/O. I found a Cobra F1 slip on exhaust for it & installed that along with a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket. I also had new Avon tires put on the bike. I plan to install the ThumperStuff pipe on this bike & the Rick's CDI, then leave it alone after that.

The other FT had been in a low speed dump & was slightly bent up here & there. Fortunately all the body-work & the paint escaped damage. This is the FT that I hybridized with forks, wheels, brakes from a Hurricane CBR600, along with several other mods. Seeing how this bike had been crashed, I felt at ease to modify it. I have more money in this bike than it would sell for. Not a lot more, but still more.

These are just a few things to keep in mind when you are looking at your bike with a wrench in one hand & the sawz-all in the other. ;)

Good luck
J.