Author Topic: Other VT500's ?  (Read 44681 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Other VT500's ?
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2014, 06:47:53 pm »
I happen to be experimenting with using a 3" UNI Pod filter mounted to the end of the OEM intake plenum. I removed the OEM air-box, oil seperator/vent & coolant recovery tank from the bike. Then I placed the UNI over the opening at the air-box & intake plenum joint. I've only been able to ride around the block so far, but the bike runs like complete crap. It rides like the carb slides cannot respond to the throttle input fast enough.

I have just received a Dyno-Jet kit that rumor has it, is "supposed" to resolve the issues... We shall see.
The Tech at Dyno-Jet says NOT to remove the air-box for the kit to function correctly.
I have seen an Ascot that has a big K&N adapted to the end of the intake plenum. The owner says the Dyno-Jet kit fixed the jetting/carb issues & the bike runs great. That's what I'm hoping for. Now for some time to install the kit. It's one of those carb kits that requires the drilling of your carb parts. If I didn't have a parts bike as back up, I might be hesitant about taking a drill to my carbs. :-\

That's about all that I can tell you so far. The bike will not run correctly if you remove the air-box. Make sure you have the time & know how on jetting/recalibrating a carb before you jump into it.

Good luck
J.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 04:59:47 am »
My first port of call will be to try and use the original filter on the end of the plenum in a home made sleeve of some kind, if necessary using an inlet hole the same size as that of the original box. I dont know if the volume of air in the original box has a bearing on performance, lets hope not. My thinking being original filter with an intake of the same size as the original box could possibly work? we will see.

Have you seen these guys? http://carbjetkits.com/honda-jet-kits/honda-500-cc-jet-kits/honda-vt500c-shadow-1983-1984-en.html
cheaper than most, a handy calculator and vt500 listed too, albeit a shadow. could be worth a look??

cheers
nev

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 12:06:57 pm »
I have not seen that jet kit. Looks promising.

The Dyno-Jet kit has a few more pieces in it. If I recall correctly, there are two new springs, new needles, jets, a couple of drill bits, etc. It's a bit more extensive.

I don't really see a way to use the OEM filter without using the OEM box. You may have something there with the idea of trying to maintain the same size air intake, but then you won't be gaining any extra air flow. On my first VT Ascot, I had been given a spun aluminum velocity stack that just happened to fit snugly in the OEM air-box air inlet. I removed the 90 degree angle snorkle from the air-box & cut the base off of it so I would have the original round part that enters the air-box. I used that piece as a glorified grommet & then installed the velocity stack. I ended up cutting the bell shaped section from the velocity stack & inserted that into the grommet. I then radiused the freshly cut end to hold it into place. I hope this all makes sense.

I used to run K&N filters back then & installed the K&N into the air-box. Now the fresh air intake flowed through a marginally larger diameter opening that had a nice radiused entryway. I also removed the square screen located inside the air-box. This along with the MAC dual exhaust still allowed the bike to run with the stock jetting. I had the jetting changed by a shop that had a tail pipe sniffer. Unfortunately I do not recall what the final jetting specs were. I believe they simply went up 2 sizes on each main.

Good luck
J.