Author Topic: Rick's Motorsport Electrics & A New High Performance CDI Box  (Read 23654 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Rick's Motorsport Electrics & A New High Performance CDI Box
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:06:21 pm »
Here is a source for several electrical components including a new Performance CDI Box.
http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com

A brand new digital Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) designed and constructed especially for the FT500 is now available for purchase through Rick's Motorsport Electrics. This new CDI is physically similar to the original CDI in that you can unplug the original CDI, plug in this new CDI, and pocket your original to use as a spare. It is the same size and shape as the original, and its electric connections are exactly the same so replacement is truly Plug-n-Play.
The new CDI is microprocessor-based and has a two position switch on the case to allow selection of rev-limit. One position yields a 6800 rpm rev-limit for those of us who are "restoration and classic" riders. The other position yields a 7500 rpm rev-limit for our racer and performance-oriented Ascot owners.

There is a Special Discount for any member of the Yahoo FT500 Ascot Owners Group. Details are located here:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/honda-ascot/conversations/messages/19648

Just one more great new part that has recently been made available for our FT500 Ascots!

Good luck
J.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:43:43 am by J6G1Z »

thumperdh

Re: Rick's Motosport Electrics & A New High Performance CDI Box
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:02:09 pm »
Great find J.

I was actually about to look into aftermarket CDI's for the FT.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

thumperdh

1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:53:20 pm »
My new CDI Box arrived yesterday. That was some fast shipping!

Here are a few pics for those of you who are interested in seeing what they look like.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 12:54:09 pm »
 ;)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 12:23:15 pm »
Well I finally installed my new CDI box. What can I say... It's truly a simple plug & play installation.

You need to remove the bikes side covers so you can access the two bolts that hold the seat down at the back near the upper shock mount. Once you slide the seat/tail-piece back & off the bike you can see the CDI on top of the rear fender liner. There are two boxes sitting there side by side. You want the one on the right side of the bike as you are sitting on it. Gently pull the rubber mount free from the mounting tang & disconnect the two plastic connectors. Remove the rubber mount, clean it up if needed & re-install it around the new CDI box. Select the RPM range that you want the rev-limiter to operate at, then connect the two plastic connectors & gently slide the rubber holder back over the mounting tangs. Now you can start the bike to insure that it runs before you bolt down the seat. If it doesn't start, make sure that the two plastic connectors are well seated. You have now installed the new CDI box & can replace the seat & side covers. Nothing to it. ;)

Good luck
J.

PS. Now is a good time to replace the sparkplug if you haven't done it in a while. Don't forget to check that spark gap & smear a dab of anti-sieze on the threads.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Rick's Motorsport Electrics & A New High Performance CDI Box
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 10:53:21 am »
Why would you want a new CDI for your Ascot?

For those who need a little convincing, here is my own reasoning.
The original Shindengen CDI is a fine, reliable piece of equipment. It has operated reliably in your Ascot for thirty-two years. It is an "analog" design that uses capacitors for both energy storage and circuit control. Capacitors do not last forever. And before they go kaput entirely, their characteristics start to wander around. You never know what the advance curve may actually be the next time you go for a ride. And the same thoughts go for the transistors inside that little case too.
The original CDI may or may not last another umpteen years. But for my own piece of mind, I would preferably not be forced to depend on it 500 miles away from home. The CDI is the heart of the engine. If it goes *bink* and you have no spare, you'll be looking dolefully at one highly inoperative piece of equipment: that being your entire motorcycle.
Nearly as important is the inclusion of a rev-limiter in the CDI's design. This is very welcome (some would say essential) for engine management and safety. Way back in 1982, rev-limiters were somewhat available but not for the "everyday market." Nowadays, no modern engine management system would contemplate leaving out a rev-limiter: it wouldn't be tolerated.

From the Yahoo FT Ascot Users Group.

WTF304

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 10:59:31 pm »
That's really good to know, how well does it work ...... and i know nobody could resist to atleast try the higher RPM limiting regardless if stock or full custom.

Price looks good, going to be added to the list .... like they stated the original is 30 ish years old lol.

How is it J6 ?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 05:46:49 am »
Works as advertised. I have mine set at the lower RPM rating. I believe it's limited to 6800-6900 RPM.

It's a nice part to have & keep the original as a spare.

J.

AwL

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 12:43:50 am »
Recently got my '83 ft500 reclamation project on the road. 
It ran OK but some missing at idle and seemed to be lacking on the top end.
Decided to splurge on Rick's CDI box.
Wow - what a difference!
No missing at idle, runs smoother and it now has a top end it didn't before.
Definitely a worthwhile investment.   Al