Author Topic: Air filter adapter ring  (Read 10407 times)

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
Air filter adapter ring
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:35:42 pm »
I made an adapter to fit a 4" ID K&N filter to the stock airbox rubber boot, starting with a 3" size ABS pipe cap from the local home improvement store.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Air filter adapter ring
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:50:59 am »
Very nice & simple solution!

You might want to add a bit of filter oil to that K&N, it looks a bit dry. Make sure that you check the downstream, or clean side of your intake tract to see if any fine dust is getting past your filter. Just take a white cloth & wipe the inside. If there is any dust in there, it will show up on the white rag. I used to run K&N filters when I lived in Arizona, but the dust was so fine in that area, that it was able to pass through the filter. I switched to oiled foam & the problem went away.

How's the bike run with that generous sized filter?

Good luck
J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:54 pm »
The big K&N filter evidently flows more air than the modified stock set-up with the foam. So far, the bike runs best with a 147.5 main and a 60 slow jet. I don't recall the bike ever pulling this strongly between 3500 and 6000 RPM before! I plan to get the bike on a dyno before any more changes are made. ;)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:07:22 am »
That Dyno time will be great information to have. 8)

Please post up the results when you are done.

Thank you
J.

PS. Have you had a chance to ride the bike long enough to go through a tank of fuel to see what your range is?