Author Topic: New guy here  (Read 10330 times)

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
New guy here
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:22:56 pm »
Hi folks! Just found this forum last week, and after lurking a bit decided to join.
I have owned an '82 FT since the late '80s, and am close to finishing it's resurrection after more than a decade of neglect. Thanks to info I gleaned here, I purchased a 145 main and 58 slow jet and solved the extreme lean condition than started after fitting a K&N filter.
Scott   

thumperdh

Re: New guy here
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:56:23 pm »
Welcome! Glad you made the jet change, I know it was the best thing i've done to my FT over the years.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:43:11 am »
Hey Scott,

Welcome & glad to hear that you found us.

It's fairly amazing the change in the bikes attitude after simply changing those two simple jets. I can't recommend it enough. Now that the engine makes more power, you can swap your countershaft sprocket to a 16 or 17 tooth sprocket & extend your top end cruising range.

Good luck
J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 09:43:32 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome! 8)
J, the bike wouldn't even run with more than 1/3-1/5 throttle before the jet change! :o There still seems to be a flat-spot between about 3 and 4K at larger throttle openings, but I've only ridden around the block a few times, as it's not registered yet. I'm thinking the next step is to shim the needle?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:43:09 am »
I have heard of folks shimming the needle to cure what you describe. My bike doesn't have that problem with its current set-up. I have the original air-box, but an oiled foam filter inside. The jets were changed & I run a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket. I also have one of the Cobra F-1 slip on mufflers on the original header pipe. I will soon be changing out that header pipe to one of the new performance header pipes offered by ThumperStuff. We'll see if that affects the carb mix or not.

Good luck
J.