Author Topic: Differences Between The VT500FT Fuel Tank & The FT500 Tank  (Read 10382 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Differences Between The VT500FT Fuel Tank & The FT500 Tank
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:36:59 pm »
Someone once asked me if I knew if an FT500 gas tank would fit the wide backbone of the VT500FT frame. At the time, I didn't think so, but I didn't really know for sure, so I took some pics with the two sitting next to each other & here they are.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Differences Between The VT500FT Fuel Tank & The FT500 Tank
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:46:09 pm »
Sorry about the poor quality of the pics. I think my trusty ole camera is starting to give up the ghost.

Anyway... As you can see, there is practically zero in common between the two tanks other than they are both black. I was surprised to notice that the FT500 tank is just a bit bigger all the way around than the VT500FT tank. If you look at the tanks tunnel you can begin to see where there is a lot of difference in the tanks. Once the tanks were flipped upside down you can see how the VT tank is practically hollowed out as compared to the FT tank which has an actual tunnel.

There is also a pic of the FT500 single tube frame backbone. I don't have a stripped down VT500FT to take a picture of its backbone section, but it is much wider to accommodate the tubing for the intake tract.

Good luck
J.

hondapartsman

• Not a biker a motorcyclist
Re: Differences Between The VT500FT Fuel Tank & The FT500 Tank
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:56:25 am »
Interesting, thank you. As a parts guy I often get the question will this part fit this other bike, etc, how anyone expects me to know I don't know. People seem to think in the parts list you have dimensional drawings and specs as to what things are made from, etc. We should be so lucky, neither to we have all the parts near us to go and measure, or have the time or opportunity to go swapping parts from one bike to another. I will admit, over the years, that once in a while, one way and another you come across some interchangeability, but it's not often and if anything is found a note is made and information shared. Once in while you can tell from a part number, but that's not really their purpose. Forgive my little waffle there, but I like to say this whenever I can, then maybe I'll get less people treating me like and idiot because I can't answer their question.

On the road since 1977 ( with breaks for various health problems)
1998 XJ600N (soon to be sold.
1984 VT500FT
1981 CB250RSA (x2) One from new.
1979 CB250N (not currently rideable legally)
1972 CL175K6 (project)
http://notabikeramotorcyclist.weebly.com
If you want to do it, can do it. then do it!