Author Topic: tires, what do you recommend?  (Read 56731 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: tires, what do you recommend?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 01:31:36 pm »
What part of the Country are you from?

I grew up in the deserts of Arizona. We had lots of power-line roads that were always fun to explore.

Thanks
J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 10:06:50 pm »
I ride on Shinko Trailmasters.  I live in the high desert, and we have some nice canyon roads, and about a million miles of powerline roads and dirt backroads.
I run the E705 up front for more pavement control, and the E700 in the rear for a better bite in the loose stuff. 
I'm way past my peg grinding days, and never was much for motocross type riding, so this setup is pretty comfortable for me.
I was going to get 705s both front and rear, but the rear wasn't tubeless. I ended up getting a 700 rear, which is tubeless.
I used to live in the CA high desert near Victorville, and the Ascot did well on the 2 1/5 miles of wash-board dirt road between my home and the mailbox. ;)

blubro

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 01:38:10 pm »
I live out west of Lancaster.  There's a little store not far away that sells gas, so I never have to ride into town if I don't feel like it.  Riding in traffic equals stress, and these days I avoid stress all I can.  There's nothing more relaxing than pointing the Ascot in some  random direction and just riding out.  Pavement or dirt, hot or cold, early or late, I always come home relaxed and happy!  8)

AwL

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 12:58:58 am »
Put a set of Avon Trailriders on ft500.
They're rated as 90/10 (90% pavement/10% gravel/dirt).
Read good reviews and i'm on gravel roads enough didn't want a straight street tire.
Initial thoughts - very stable on the gravel road and fine on the paved road.
Just what i was hoping for.

smcohio

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 02:08:52 am »
Put a set of Avon Trailriders on ft500.
They're rated as 90/10 (90% pavement/10% gravel/dirt).
Read good reviews and i'm on gravel roads enough didn't want a straight street tire.
Initial thoughts - very stable on the gravel road and fine on the paved road.
Just what i was hoping for.

I also run a lot of country roads, the type where you go from chip and seal to straight gravel with no warning. I just started running duro hf308 tires and they are very stable tires and have the vintage flat track look I was going for.

triguyracer

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 12:47:56 pm »
I changed tires on my FT to Shinko 705 as I go down a fire road now and then and lots of roads where I live will have gravel and dirt all over them ,they where cheap and seem to work very well.

smcohio

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 05:43:46 pm »
When I bought the bike it had a set of Dunlop 404 tires and they ran alright for street purposes.