Author Topic: New dutchy ascot driver  (Read 11427 times)

Whata

New dutchy ascot driver
« on: January 27, 2014, 04:08:19 pm »
Hi there fellow Ascot owners !

I just found out about this forum and am happy to join the community :)
Ready to exchange experiences and share some Ascot love !  ;)
As the title says I live in Holland, I study mechanical engineering.

My bike is the V-twin, although a rusty and worn one I am not giving up on this buddy  ;D
The first pic is how I bought her.
I don't have an actual picture as she is momentarily in bits and pieces, ready for a heart transplantation  ;)
After like 70000 miles it seemed the old engines valves were not closing properly anymore.
Not eager to fix it and wait till the next part gets worn  out  :'( I bought a donor engine with half the mileage.

On the second pic my previous bike, a CB250RS with an Ascot single engine.
The engine was pretty much a direct bolt on swap, no major adjustments had to be made.
I sold this one because in the end the bike didn't really turn out the way I wanted.
If I've got you interested in this conversion, feel free to ask for further details  :)

Now off to exploring  ;)
Cya !
Wouter

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: New dutchy ascot driver
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:39:05 pm »
Welcome to the board Wouter,

Those are a couple of nice looking bikes you have there! The black Ascots are my favorite color scheme. I recently picked up a slightly beat up red VT500FT to replace the real clean one that I stupidly sold many years ago. Having owned both models of the Ascot I feel like I can say that the VT is a much more refined Ascot, while the FT500 is more on the rowdy side. Both are great bikes.

Thanks
J.

Whata

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:54:51 am »
thanks J. , I have never ridden the single Ascot but I think I know what you mean.

I'd say start a topiƧ for your recently bought VT  :D

My bike is even more apart at the moment, I found there are some spots of serious corrosion around the rear axle pivot of the frame.
So I bought myself a TIG welder and as soon as I'm finished practicing I'll start a topic about the rebuild    :)

Wouter

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 12:47:17 pm »
thanks J. , I have never ridden the single Ascot but I think I know what you mean.

I'd say start a topiƧ for your recently bought VT  :D

My bike is even more apart at the moment, I found there are some spots of serious corrosion around the rear axle pivot of the frame.
So I bought myself a TIG welder and as soon as I'm finished practicing I'll start a topic about the rebuild    :)

Wouter

I did start a topic. Here it is: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=133.0  I haven't really done much with the bike yet. I need to service the bike & then trouble shoot a high speed miss. I don't know if it is fuel related or electrical yet. The VT's are prone to Coil failure, so it might be my coils. I need to learn how to test the coils.

I'm looking forward to seeing your posts on the rebuilding of your bike.

Thanks
J.