Author Topic: Anyone Go For Any Rides Lately Or Been Working On Their Bike?  (Read 28054 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Anyone Go For Any Rides Lately Or Been Working On Their Bike?
« on: January 02, 2014, 02:15:07 pm »
Been pretty slow around here since Thanksgiving. Looks like everyone has been busy with the Holidays. Hope you all had a good Christmas & were able to enjoy some quality time with your Family & Friends. Christmas was good to me this year. I received a new pair of Dainese riding boots & some gloves. So far I've only been able to test this new gear on two rides, but it looks very promising.

I've slowly been collecting all the remaining parts for my FT/CBR hybrid. I stripped the wheels of sprocket, disks & bearings, all the way down to the bare wheels. Then had them media blasted & powder coated. Bought new All Balls wheel bearings off of eBay & a 520 chain conversion with new sprockets from: http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/. Finally have everything back & need to clean the wheels of any left over blasting media from the inside. Then I can begin to reassemble the wheels, mount & balance the new Avon Roadriders & finish the bike. It's just been too cold & rainy to be outside with the hose cleaning wheels lately. Today the sun is out & I plan to get going on those wheels as soon as it warms up a bit.

So.... What all have you guys been up to?

J.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:22:31 pm by J6G1Z »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone Go For Any Rides Lately Or Been Working On Their Bike?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:37:27 am »
Can't believe that nobody has been out for a ride, or been working on their bike! :o

What's going on? Is everyone locked into their cave watching the tube with the post holiday blues?

Anybody been affected by any of the large storms that have hit the country lately?

How about a Christmas report? Anybody score any cool bike related presents?

Let's spark up some conversation & activity around here. ;)

Thanks
J.

thumperdh

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 04:27:21 pm »
Everything is quiet down here. Been riding to work and back all the time. Nothing crazy. I did manage to find a pretty nice little section of road to ride home on that involves two roundabouts and a hairpin.

I realized how much I hate my new headlight position and brackets so as soon as we get a sunny day I'm going back to stock. I'm also looking for an OEM exhaust heatshield and a set of OEM mirrors if anybody has some extras hanging around. But im not about to pay $69 for that heatshield.

Gift wise, my Xmas gift to myself was a nice project bike in the form of a 1982 cb900f. Needs some carb work but not bad condition. I also ordered the upgraded jets for the ft from Mark over at thumperstuff last Friday. Hopefully I get them in soon.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:14:12 pm »
I don't recall what you did with your Headlight. What is wrong with it?

How about some pics of your 900? Sounds like a good score.

Good luck
J.

thumperdh

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:14:59 pm »
I wanted the FT to have a more "aggressive" look to it so I bought a cheap headlight bracket to move the light lower down. I first dropped the forks down in the triple trees then put on my new headlight brackets. I made a post about it here http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=149.msg561#msg561

Well turns out I hate it. Lowering the forks throws off the whole steering geometry of the bike and the headlight brackets aren't great quality. So whenever it stops raining down here I'm going to get it back to normal.

I'll post pics of the 900 when I get home tonight if I don't fall asleep.
1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 04:44:47 pm »
Looks like you lowered it too much. Maybe raise it back up until only 3/4", to an inch, stick up past the top triple clamp.

I'm interested in seeing how mine is going to handle after lowering it as much as I have.

Good luck
J.

michiganadam

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 03:14:13 am »
I would have gone for a ride the other day, it was 50 out....but i have a broken leg :( cant ride...

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:01:47 am »
I would have gone for a ride the other day, it was 50 out....but i have a broken leg :( cant ride...

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your leg. Hopefully it's just a minor set back & heals up fast. Meanwhile, feel free to live vicariously through this board as much as possible. Please tell us about your bike & any modifications you may have made to it.

Good luck
J.

thumperdh

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 05:28:51 pm »
Went down to a vintage motorcycle show in Dania Beach, Fl today. Only one FT there. It had 15k miles on the clock and had just been fully rebuilt and repainted. I talked to the previous and current owner (the bike sold about 10 minutes before I got there). Guy bought it for 2300.

Also put on my 148 main jet today and wow. What a difference it makes. It actually feels like a motorcycle instead of an ovesized lawnmower now. If you haven't done this mod yet or are on the fence about it actually helping. Do it. I changed the jet in about 30 min without taking off anything but the side panels and the float bowl.
1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 05:39:40 pm »
Did you change the low speed jet also?

Usually the upgrade is a #145 main and a #58 low-speed jet.

Now you can change your countershaft sprocket to a 16 or 17 tooth. This will really help the bike on the freeway.

I took my FJ out for a quick ride today on my usual route, but the road conditions were very poor. We've had extreme winds & icy conditions over the last several days. The wind finally stopped today. Unfortunately the road has had real fine little rocks/crushed gravel dumped on it to prevent slipping on the ice, plus there are twigs & branches everywhere. The crushed gravel is almost as slippery as the ice. I slid around a bit several times. Hope the road department cleans it up soon.

I tested out some new cold weather gear that I bought recently. It's the "Freeze-Out" underwear by Cycle Gear.
http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#w=freeze%20out&asug=
It's on sale so I bought the shirt, pants, socks & glove liners. The stuff works good! Thin, lightweight & much warmer than my old thermal underwear. I'm impressed!

J.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:54:16 pm by J6G1Z »

thumperdh

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 06:07:17 pm »
By 148 I meant 145. And no I didn't get my idle jet in yet but I will as soon as it comes in.
1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 06:49:09 pm »
Be careful removing that one. The slot will strip out real easy if you don't have a screwdriver that fits it correctly.

I used a long gunsmith type of screwdriver after almost ruining the slot with a regular screwdriver.

Good luck
J.

thumperdh

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 05:51:17 pm »
Okay, got the slow jet in today and i'm having some issues with idling, nothing a few tweaks couldn't fix. Also replaced my stock phillips head floatbowl bolts with some nice stainless hex head bolts. 4mm diameter, .70mm pitch x 15mm length for those interested.

Again, couldn't be happier with the results after getting the idle sorted out. Highly recommend this mod.  ;D

Next week comes a new air filter and a 16t countershaft sprocket.
1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

plasticadam

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 11:26:26 am »
Thought it was time I made a contribution to the site! For once I've got off my butt and been quite busy. The FT is my wife's new bike (bought in December - 20 years after selling her original one) which I am converting to a more street-tracker style but still trying to retain some practicality, ie making it weatherproof, comfortable and reliable (hopefully)

Since Christmas, I have turned the bike into a massive pile of pieces - but  now waiting for frame, swing arm, etc to come back from powder coating so I can start to re-assemble. I've made a new bracket to take a shortened tail piece, removed the rear footpegs and mountings and also repositioned the battery. I've cut the seat down to a single-seater (handing the re-upholstery over to a professional) but left the original mounts and comfort levels, have also taken on lots of advice from others on the forum about front sprocket size, tyres, re-jetting with K&N type filter etc.

I've fitted new starter motor mechanical solenoid - so that now works (at a price :o). Stripped the sticky rear caliper and got new head bearings and rear wheel bearings to do. Having new Avon Road Riders fitted this week - the bike still had the original Bridgestone front - 8,000 miles in 32 years!!!! Kind of proved the mileage as genuine but I really didn't like the idea of its grip potential. I've also found a lovely round 1970's Suzuki headlamp shell and rim at a local breakers which I will fit with a modern light unit.

Last night, she who must be obeyed, finally agreed on the paint job she wants which a local lad will do for me at a sensible price.

In early June we are planning a trip to France to a classics/customs event (me on my similarly modified 1981 Yamaha XV750). This means I actually have a deadline. That's a good thing as I then keep the pressure on myself to finish things - I work best that way! Will post some pictures when there's something more than components to show

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 02:14:52 pm »
Wow! That's exciting & sounds like you're doing a good job. I can't wait to see your bike when it's finished.

I need to get re-motivated to finish mine off. I'm basically just needing to have the tires mounted & balanced, then start reassembly for the next to the last time. I haven't gone so far as having the frame powder coated or tricked out any of the cosmetics other than powder coating the wheels to an aluminum color. The original paint & body components are still in good shape, so I'm going to leave that alone. The original intent of the modifications were to make the bike lighter & handle better while still looking original at first glance. Other than the three spoke 17" wheels, round headlight & round mirrors.... It still looks stock to the casual observer.

Please consider doing your own build thread with pics & details. I think those types of threads are most everyones favorite to read.

Thanks
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 02:51:46 pm »
Well, I took my VT500FT Ascot out to run an errand to Home Depot this morning. Of course I just "had" to take the long way home.  ;) That bike is sure cold blooded, but once it warms up it rides real nice. It feels like an old friend due to my owning one in the late 80's.

When I was leaving the Home Depot parking lot this morning... An older man was walking two Cockapoo (sp?) type of rat dogs across the parking lot. As I started to pull out, one of the little rat dogs started yapping at me & tried to attack me. The man started trying to reel him back in & was yelling at him to stop. Funny thing (to me anyway) was that the dog's name was Harley. My Honda was being chased down by a Harley. LOL!

Sometimes real life is funnier than fiction!

J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 11:45:57 am »
Anyone else out there riding, or wrenching?

It's still raining here. Just enough to keep the streets slippery. >:( Other than everything being very wet, it would be great riding weather. Not too hot & not too cold, just right.

Let's hear what you all have been up to, so I can live vicariously by listening to your stories. LOL!

J.

thumperdh

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 11:57:43 am »
Nothing too crazy

Cleaned out the garage the other day then went to pick up a 1982 CB650SC Nighhawk

1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 01:03:51 pm »
WOW!!! :o You can see the floor in your garage.

Nice skateboard collection. Looks like some downhill & cruiser boards. I still have 2 of my old boards. One is an old G&S FiberFlex park & pool board before boards went to 8 to 10" wide. My other board I made when I was a teenager. It is a take off of the original Alva board, but is a tad bit wider & more full in the kick-tail. It is made from some marine grade plywood covered with 8 oz. fiberglass.

Both boards use Tracker Trucks & Powerflex 5 wheels. I'm guessing that none of these companies still exist these days.

J.

thumperdh

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 03:34:19 pm »
I know, I didn't even know we had all of that floor. I'll get around to pressure washing it come fall or winter. It's 97.5 here right now with a heat index of 109 so i'm not in a rush to get it done.

Yeah I raced downhill for the last few years and recently retired. Still have most of my boards through the years. I still have a bunch in boxes elsewhere, those are just the ones that are set up or were loose. That G&S Fiberflex is probably worth some money if it's still in good condition.

Tracker is still around, the longest cruiser board you see in the picture has Tracker B-52 trucks and I've run Tracker Racetracs and RTX/RTS trucks on a few of my slalom setups too. I'm not sure about Powerflex though.
1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 08:38:50 pm »
Skateboards, huh? I bought the board in 1978, but I'd had the Bennet pro trucks and Simms Pure Juice "bowl riders" under several decks before.
Hey thumper, check out the sohc4 forum:
http://forums.sohc4.net/

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 09:46:17 pm »
I went & took my "big" bike out today to run an errand. 8)

Nothing like a 1200cc inline 4 to set you back in the seat & lengthen the arms a bit. ;D  My good ole FJ1200 makes a great freeway flyer/sport bike & commands my respect every time I jump on it. Cruising at 95+ is effortless with plenty more left on tap. Sure wish all those cars would get the hell out of my way. Just another great classic motorcycle & another fun ride.

J.