First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

Wire Wheel conversions

<< < (2/3) > >>

triguyracer:
Thanks for the info on the NX650 I will look around and see if it might be workable, Right now I am planning on using the front wheel I have from a Honda Goldwing from 76 that is a alloy wire wheel and uses the same size axel and bolts right up to the stock front end just need to make spacers . The part that will take a bit more is the stock Ascot wheel has disk that uses six mounting bolts where as the Goldwing  uses a five bolt pattern and I will need to find a five bolt disk one and see if I can get the offset close and just make a spacer or if lucky one that will have the right offset, not likely but who knows .I have a four piston caliper from  Ducati 916 that I tried to mount but the stock forks are just not wide enough for it to work with either wheel ,just not wide enough to clear where when you mount the caliper it will not clear the wheel, the disk needs to be offset more so you would be able to clear the wheel and forks even with the stock wheel it will not work, If anyone knows of a four piston caliper that would mount and clear the stock setup wheel and forks let me know would like to change to a four piston  up front   

scottly:
The FT wheels have a 5 bolt pattern for the discs, not 6? As far as calipers, a two piston 30mm caliper has the same clamping force as a four piston opposed 30mm caliper. The mid-85's Honda V65 used 32mm two piston calipers that bolt right on in place of the stock 30mm front caliper.

triguyracer:
Sorry bout that got the two wheels reversed on bolt pattern the Goldwing wheel is the six bolt one

triguyracer:
The FT brake is a twin piston not a opposed type it  has the pistons on just one side and uses pins and pulls one side over to the other moving the whole brake caliper on the pins if I remember right and the Ducati one I want to use is a fixed type and not a sliding type but a true opposed piston type, From my 40 plus years of racing I have not at least on the many diff bikes I have race found a single or twin piston sliding one that works as well as a true four piston fixed mounted one

FT500R:
Replacing the stock sliding type caliper with a true 4 piston might be hard.
The sliding type is usually really thin on the side that has no pistons so the clearance between the wheel and the disc is quite narrow.

That means that if you want to fit a 4 piston type you have to space the disc further from the wheel.
With the narrow front forks of the ascot I do not know if you have a lot of space for that.

You might run into the problem that you have to make a spacer for the caliper, for the wheel and for the disc. In that case I would contemplate switching the complete front forks as the ascots are sh*t and way too long.

I used to know a website that had an overview of which bikes had which bolt patterns. Can't find it anymore but you might run into it when you google a bit. Might help you in finding a disc with the correct diameter and bolt pattern.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version