First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

Anyone Know What This Machine Screw Does?

(1/2) > >>

J6G1Z:
I bought this modified side cover & oil cooler off of eBay from a bike salvage yard.

I'm concerned about this machine screw & its function. It appears to intersect an oil passage on the inside of the case. I don't know if it blocks off the oil passage completely, or just restricts the flow. I'm assuming that it is required for the oil to flow through the cooler correctly.

If anyone knows what I'm looking at here, please let me know.

Thank you
J.

J6G1Z:
I talked with the salvage yard where the cover & oil cooler came from & they assured me that the Ascot that these parts were removed from was a good runner & that the engine was not siezed.

Unfortunately they didn't know much more than that though.

Thank you
J.

Thack:
My guess is restriction. Oil going through an oil cooler too fast doesn't cool very well. Then again with oil pressure at 4-5 lbs., it may be to keep up the pressure for the entire system. Have you backed it out to see what it looks like?

J6G1Z:
No, I haven't messed with it yet. I'd just like to verify what it is there for. It's not drilled exactly centered with the oil passage & favors one side slightly. I think you can see it in pic #2. If it serves a worthy purpose... I would like to remove it & exchange it for a flush mounted machine screw that doesn't stick out.

Thank you
J.

Thack:
What is the hole above the screw for? what goes in there for lubrication? Does the passage below the bolt just drain into the sump area?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version