Second Generation Ascots > The V-Twin Years: Modified To Full Customs

Going Custom

<< < (3/4) > >>

bobforcha:
OK, it's been a while, but I've got some updates. Not quite done yet, but getting close. I got her up and running 2 weeks ago, as I had to vacate the space where I was working. Due to that, I had to do a bit of a rush job finishing off the seat and the electrical. Some of the connections are a little sloppy, so I've got her parked at home while I make a new wire harness. I also have a little more body work to do before painting, but overall I'm pretty happy with how things are looking. Here are a couple of pics.

murdo:
Nice. Like the pipes.

Bucko:
I'd like to hear how those dual pipes workout.  There's a theory that the bike won't run right without the OEM 'power chamber' because of the unusual piston/crank timing (not sure I buy that theory so some real world experience would be nice).

Also, agree with J6G1Z about the airbox.  Typically CV carbs seem to require a bit of vacuum (accommodated by the restricted flow of the airbox) in order to run properly (or perhaps more accurately, in order to run most efficiently). Other folks seem to have to done it though (not sure if that's the case on the Ascot) so it's not impossible.

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: Bucko on August 23, 2017, 06:56:18 pm ---I'd like to hear how those dual pipes workout.  There's a theory that the bike won't run right without the OEM 'power chamber' because of the unusual piston/crank timing (not sure I buy that theory so some real world experience would be nice)....
--- End quote ---

I've owned two VT500FT Ascots. One with the MAC dual exhaust like shown above & one with dual Super-Trapp mufflers. They run great without the "power chamber".

I've heard that theory before & it's not accurate.

J.

scott s:

--- Quote from: J6G1Z on August 23, 2017, 10:51:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: Bucko on August 23, 2017, 06:56:18 pm ---I'd like to hear how those dual pipes workout.  There's a theory that the bike won't run right without the OEM 'power chamber' because of the unusual piston/crank timing (not sure I buy that theory so some real world experience would be nice)....
--- End quote ---

I've owned two VT500FT Ascots. One with the MAC dual exhaust like shown above & one with dual Super-Trapp mufflers. They run great without the "power chamber".

I've heard that theory before & it's not accurate.

J.

--- End quote ---

What carb and/or jet changes are needed when running a true 2-2 exhaust and getting rid of the power chamber?
 Did you notice any flat spots or loss of torque?
 My VF500 Interceptor has a Kerker exhaust. It screams up top but, I'm told, at a loss of some torque down low.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version