Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

1984 VT500FT Headlight issues

<< < (2/2)

oscarlagerstrom:

--- Quote from: twerth on August 28, 2016, 10:02:51 am ---With a little investigative tinkering, I was able to get mine to work. It turned out to be the starter button. The button is made so that when it's pressed, it breaks the headlight circuit so the light isn't on while the starter is engaged. The problem with mine was that when the button was released, it came out too far and again broke the headlight circuit. I suspect this is caused by normal wear.

This is easy to trouble shoot. With your key in the "on" position, push the starter button in ~1/16". If the headlight comes on, you've found the problem. I fixed mine by epoxying a tiny sliver of plastic milk carton to the switch housing in the nook above the starter button where the button rests. This is hard to explain, so I can send pics if that would help.

Good luck with yours!

--- End quote ---

Great tip! This seemed to be my problem. My starter button felt weird, like the spring was askew or something, I immediately tried this out. It worked!
Now to repairing it....

simonjb2007:
I have just bought an 83 V twin requiring some TLC to get it running again. I got all the main items I think apart from the headlight - I have a broken start button and finally traced the blue/white headlight power from headlight switch to the start button. The previous owner wired a make shift start button to it but the blue white power to headlight switch was not touched. Can I splice the blue white into the red and black into my new start button switch - it only has the red/black & red/yellow wires. Appreciate the help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version