Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

Are Broken Instrument Cluster Needles a Recurring Issue?

<< < (2/2)

murdo:
Nice idea, I like it.

Bucko:
It is very common for the needles to break.  I've gone through several clusters and they've just about all had broken needles.  The ones that had good needles. - ones that I tried to 'harvest'.. the needles would break off with just the lightest touch.

As a replacement you can try using the small triangular cocktail skewers.  They're light and just about the right size.  They can be glued on and painted with some red model paint to match the instruments.

In order to get replacement needles in the right orientation, make a mark where the original needle rests when it's not hitting the 'stop' pin - i.e if your original needles are still there, gently lifter them over the stop pin on the gauge face to see where they naturally rest and install the replacement needle in the same position.  If your needles are already broken, they're already at their natural rest point - install the replacements and lift them back over the stop pin.

RobertP:
Yes, both the speedo and tach pointers broke on mine, I used the same method as Well485, Only I used a "Canadian Club" can as I needed to make mine white in color. I am in Australia and the law requires me to remove the MPH stuff leaving KPH (which is white). It works, will need recalibrating but as there are many other problems with the ageing instruments (Temp gauge replaced also), down the track I am looking at replacing with a set from a VT250R, they are round, chrome and have a white face

Bucko:
What the legal reasoning behind having to remove the MPH markings?

RobertP:
Like I said, That's the Law in Australia. Australia uses metric measurements Only.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version