First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Stock To Lightly Modified

picture of my modified 82

<< < (2/4) > >>

J6G1Z:
Is that CBR wheels & forks on your bike, or Interceptor?

Looks like it handles good & will stop on a dime.

I'm doing the same thing with one of my Ascots. You really need to up-jet the carb if it is still stock. You want at least a #145 main jet and a #58 low speed jet. This really wakes up the FT500. When you have some time check out this topic. http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=10.0

Thanks for the pics
J.

tdub73:
cbr hurricane wheels and forks 87-91 ;)
I'm looking forward to doing the carb. Thanks

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: tdub73 on August 30, 2013, 02:10:11 pm --- cbr hurricane wheels and forks 87-91 ;)
I'm looking forward to doing the carb. Thanks
--- End quote ---

That's what I'm using. 1989 CBR600 Hurricane wheels & forks. I'm going to run without a front fender though.

Changing the jets is fairly easy. The hardest part for me was to break loose the 3 screws that hold the float bowl on to the carb body. I ended up stripping the head of one of them & had to get the vice grips on it to turn it. After that it was easy. I've done the job on two FT500's & both times I was able to just barely get it done without having to remove the carb. I just loosened it up & tilted it towards the left side of the bike as you sit on it. I have a set of gunsmith screwdrivers that I used to remove the jets. The slow speed jet can be difficult because you can't see it & it's small. It's up inside a tube like portion of the carb body. It's a worthy modification & really helps the engines throttle response, plus it allows you to pull a larger countershaft sprocket for more top end.

I bought my jets & a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket from Thumper Stuff.  http://www.thumperstuff.com/FT500.html

Good Luck
J.

tdub73:
I looked at that site and didn't see jets listed? :-[ Do you know what the stock jetting is? thanks

J6G1Z:
Thumper Stuff doesn't have everything listed on their web-site that they sell.

I can't recall what the original jet sizes are any longer. You want to purchase a #145 main jet and a #58 low speed jet.

Give Thumper Stuff a call & Mark will help you out.

Good luck
J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version