First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

Gearing for fire trails

<< < (2/2)

triguyracer:
One tooth on your countershaft sprocket works out to 3 teeth on your rear sprocket plus or minus a hair on almost all bikes.If you change from a 15 countershaft to a 16 countershaft it is like droping 3 teeth off your rear sprocket,if you change to a 14 its like adding 3 to the rear

wrk2ride_ride2wrk:

--- Quote from: J6G1Z on January 06, 2015, 08:26:18 am ---Are you sure that you want to subject a bike as nice as an Ascot to off-road riding? There not really designed for that. Sure you don't want to locate an older XR or XL 500/600 for the off-road stuff? I don't think the Ascot is going to handle the dirt near as well.

Pretty sure I explained why I chose the FT for this build in my 1st post ;)

PS. Have you performed the carb jetting upgrade as explained in this post? http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=10.0

As I mentioned the carb's fine ATM ;) pretty sure the Jpnese carb is not numbed down jet wise, as with US export models

PPS. If you end up changing both the front & rear sprockets, you may want to seriously consider converting the bike to a 520 series chain & sprockets just like the XR & XL. The Ascots 530 series chain is over-kill on an Ascot. You will remove several pounds of rotating weight from your drive train by swapping to a 520 chain.

--- End quote ---

Good idea, but I'll stick with it, with higher gearing in the pipeline and more than 6% increase of torque at the chain.

wrk2ride_ride2wrk:

--- Quote from: triguyracer on January 06, 2015, 10:10:36 pm ---One tooth on your countershaft sprocket works out to 3 teeth on your rear sprocket plus or minus a hair on almost all bikes.If you change from a 15 countershaft to a 16 countershaft it is like droping 3 teeth off your rear sprocket,if you change to a 14 its like adding 3 to the rear

--- End quote ---

yup, I wanted to change out the frnt 1st (14T) then fine adjust with the back sprocket .. however... couldnt get a 14T, so ordered 45T for the rear..going to make it pricer to adjust if I need to,

arh... WTH ...who needs two kids in college anyway $$$

J6G1Z:
College is highly over-rated anyway.  ;D

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version